Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM, 12/06: Old Grand Dad 114

I've drank OGD BIB for several years but only recently aquired a bottle of 114 from Binnys (shipped along with the BTAC '06) Otherwise I might have never tried it.

I find it to be less sharp and fuller, more charr than BIB but with a nice rye "spice". Is it older than BIB? or does the higher bottling proof acount for these impressions?

Either way I like it a lot and wish stores around here would carry it.

Connoisseur

I love OGD 114, Great stuff and a great choice this month. It's also one of the best bourbon values out there.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Advanced Taster

OK, I'm finally joining the BOTM club and purchased Old Grand Dad 114 today for $24.85 at the only liquor store in town that carries it. This store services the downtown restaurant area, so they have a better selection than most. As one clerk told me, "It's really OLCC's liquor, we just push it for them".
    Anyway, I love OGD BIB, and it might be a better value at $19 a bottle, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them.
    Can someone tell me when OGD114 was introduced into the line? Does it pre-date Beam acquiring the brand?
    Chris/Oregon

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know when it was introduced, but I know it was pre-Beam.

Taster

I poured a drink of this for a friend a couple nights ago and he didn't really like it. When he left I noticed he only drank about half of the pour. I picked up his glass and knocked it back. WOW! This had some serious kick! Rye, yeast, and char! What a great night cap. I slept like a baby! Bourbon does not go down the drain in my house! :P
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." -Mark Twain

Advanced Taster

OGD 114 has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. But I don't really enjoy it at all in the summertime; definately a winter warmer. Awhile back Chuck C. was discusssing the higher proofs needing some water. Up to that point, I had always had it neat because of how smooth it was. But I tried it with a little water and I think I like it better neat, but only slightly. Here in Colorado I'll find it on sale for $19.99, so it's a value for sure. I do however like the BIB.

Virtuoso

Smile Re: BOTM, 12/06: Old Grand Dad 114

Every time I pour more from this old bottle of OGD114, I like it better and better! I had this bottle for a while now and it went ignored until this month. Got it way, way back in the day. As soon as it is empty, this is going to become one of my regulars. Thanks for making it BOTM or I might have remained ignorant!

Guru

Thumbs up Re: BOTM, 12/06: Old Grand Dad 114

I love this stuff!

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

I jumped in on this BOTM just before the end of the month. I liked my bottle very much, spicy.. chewy... smooth.... very good. While reading the back label I noticed something... It sayes "Look for a lot number on each bottle signifying the authenticity of each Old Grand Dad 114." Mine is Lot No. 1. Is that strange?? Its been around for years. I don't think I have an old bottle. How can it be Lot #1?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

That's one of Beam's bad habits, the phony lot number.