Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pappy Van Winkle 15 or 20?

Hey fellas. I am purchasing a bottle of Pappy VW tomorrow for my father's bday but am not sure which to go for...either the 15 or the 20.

I also bought the Woodford Reserve Four Grains on a whim but have read a lot of mediocre reviews of it on here and elsewhere. I dont know if I should keep it or not.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 15 or 20?

Either of those is a good choice, the 15 is a bit higher in proof.

Never had the 4 grain and didn't feel the need to own a bottle. Some say it is like drinking bourbon with your mouth full of pennies. I think if you find someone who just has to have it and you recoup the $, I'd walk away.

Welcome to SB.com
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
    Either of those is a good choice, the 15 is a bit higher in proof.

Never had the 4 grain and didn't feel the need to own a bottle. Some say it is like drinking bourbon with your mouth full of pennies. I think if you find someone who just has to have it and you recoup the $, I'd walk away.

Welcome to SB.com

Thank you.

Yeah, I figure ya can't go wrong with either. I'm kind of leaning toward the 20yr, just because.

I am more of a single malt fan but definitely enjoy my bourbon as well. Last year I got him some Blantons, which was very good.

Connoisseur

Pappy 20 is my favorite and just about everyone I give it to loves it. The 15 is also great, but if you don't mind the $ and I'm sure Dad is worth it, go for the 20.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    Pappy 20 is my favorite and just about everyone I give it to loves it. The 15 is also great, but if you don't mind the $ and I'm sure Dad is worth it, go for the 20.
    I couldn't agree more!
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy's Friend View Post
    I couldn't agree more!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    Not me, to my personal taste the 15 years are enormously much better than the 20 years. However the 20 starts of good but the finish are very short and tired. Here you have a link that show of the forum ranking of bourbons: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...hlight=top+ten

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

To my senses the 2 bottles are so different in flavor profiles they are difficult to compare.
    My personal flavor preference would be towards the 15, as I seem to enjoy the higher proof bottles more.
    However if you are considering one or the other as a gift, at least for me here in WA State the 15 sells for $47.05, the 20 for $85.50. I personally find it difficult to part with the $85 for one bottle and treat it as a special occasion bottle.
    So for me personally, though I find them both to be quality pours, I consider the 20 as more of a treat. I have limited experience with bottles aged for this length, but I find its extra years in aging much more subtle than EC 18.
    Your father is lucky to get either, and he must have done something right that you are presenting such a quality-crafted gift.
    Todd

Connoisseur

Pappy 20 is my current favorite bourbon. If money is no object my opinion is to get him the Pappy 20. The Pappy 15 is also great, but the Pappy 20 makes for a better gift.

Enthusiast

Pappy 20 MAY just be the finest example of whiskey I have ever come across in many years of Bourbon travel - yes I am willing to admit RHF's title is under threat!

It is different from it's younger sibling and I think superior. Smoother and so easy to drink.

Get him the 20 and he will be a happy man I assure you. I have just bought my mate Dave a Pappy 20 for Xmas and I have an air of confidence that this will be his best present this year. Need I say more?
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Guru

For my money, I'd go with the 15. I find the 20 strangely plain and without much complexity. The 15, IMHO, is much for interesting and nuanced.

Having said that, you can't go very wrong with either.

On the other hand, I would stay as far away as possible from the WR 4G.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."