Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Keeping Pace With the Biz, was:Southern Comfort 2006

Chuck,

With the constant change in the industry, if I were a whiskey writer, I'd want to date every page, or its electronic equivalent, I write -- lest years later an inaccuracy be attributed to me, whereas I was right originally.

While folks who know the industry might automatically check copyright dates, the newbies, the very folks most likely to rely on the written word, are less likely to do so.

Soon after joining this forum I was very surprised to learn that the taste of bottlings changes over time, sometimes due to a decision by the producer. Only then did I realize that certain books I had acquired could not be counted on for relevant reviews.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Southern Comfort 2006

Just enjoyed Southern Comfort with a splash of 1970's-era Early Times. Absolutely great, as is the Comfort on its own.

I would encourage people to try the restored 1800's recipe of Southern Comfort, it is really good. If you find it too sweet, add a dash of any good bourbon.

Definitely a find for me in 2006.

Gary

I still have a pint bottle (empty) of a 100 proof Southern Comfort purchased in Santa Rosa when I attended Jim's party in July.

The label makes no reference to the original recipe of Heron. It states merely that Southern Comfort is "a New Orleans original", which is not necessarily the same thing.

This leads me to think the restoration of the original recipe may be quite recent.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I still have a pint bottle (empty) of a 100 proof Southern Comfort purchased in Santa Rosa when I attended Jim's party in July.

The label makes no reference to the original recipe of Heron. It states merely that Southern Comfort is "a New Orleans original", which is not necessarily the same thing...

Gary
    Gary, I glanced at both the 70- and 100-proof versions while working at the liquor store Saturday, and noticed it on both bottles, but remember it being somehow different. Since I don't have the bottles in front of me, I can't recall what that difference is.
    Check the neck and back labels, or perhaps the etching on the bottle itself, and see if you can't find a reference to Heron.
    Tim

Tim, the relevant statement on the 100 proof (a fairly modern bottling because it mentions the web site of the brand) is, "Enjoy this smooth New Orleans original straight, on the rocks or mixed". This is on a 100 ml. bottle but I would think the copy on the larger sizes is the same.

The current 35% ABV bottle (pint) states only, "M.W. Heron's Original New Orleans Recipe".

Maybe the statement on the 100 proof bottle is different simply because the 100 proof is a different expression but the words are meant to refer to the same thing (the revived recipe). However, let's assume the statement on the 100 proof also appeared on older bottles of the 70 proof. In that case, this suggests to me the recipe change was recent.

The natural quality of the fruit additions is quite evident in the revived recipe. It seems to provide a citric edge (plus a fresh fruit quality) the older recipe mentioned by Chuck (i.e., when a fruit concentrate was used) did not have.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-11-2006 at 12:17.

Gary, the bottles I was looking at were marked '05' and '06' on their bottoms (I don't remember which was which), and remember almost giving up looking for the 'Heron' name on one of them before finally discovering it.
    I've got to get used to the fact I'm now carrying a phone with a camera on it -- if I remember, I'll snap a picture next time I see 'em, if only to jog my memory later.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I just looked at both these today in the grocery, I didn't think to check the bottle dates, but considering the number they have on the shelf, I would guess they go through them quickly. Both carried the "enjoy this" statement on the back label, but only the 70proof had the "M.W. Herons" statement on the front. I'm not sure if this means anything, but that's what they say.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Thanks to both. I suspect the 100 proof is older stock but am not sure.

If I was there, I'd buy both, reduce the 100 proof to 70 and then compare them.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    By doing a ... 50/75 blend of Comfort to the bourbon
    I tried this but my mixing glass overflowed.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

I meant of course, 75% bourbon, 25% SC.

Gary