Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

bourbon with your meal

Although the subject has come up in the past (I did a little searching) I would like to get peoples opinions. Also we have a lot of new members since the topic was last discussed in depth.

I enjoy bourbon/rye, usually neat, as an accompaniment with certain meal combinations. Steak, prime rib, grilled pork chops and roast pork loin are my favorite meats to have alongside a nice pour. Side dishes that don't clash with or aren't overpowered by the whiskey are, in my experience, a bit problematic. My favorites are sweetcorn (with lots of butter), mashed potatoes with garlic and chives, and wild rice (the nutty, earthy flavor goes well with just about any bourbon).

My worst experience with bourbon as an accompaniment to a meal was WT 101 and water with liver and onions. Worst side dish was mac and cheese.

What are your experiences, good and not so good? Favorite meal combos, side dishes?

Guru

Cool Re: bourbon with your meal

I am one of those who does not enjoy spirits with a meal. Beer and ale are fine, as is wine. I like spirits before and/or after a meal, just not with food.

My favorite meal combo that I ever remember was at a French restaurant in downtown Cincinnatti, at least 25 years ago. I had wood-roasted pork chops with broccoli and a baked sweet potato. Along with it, I had two or three Bass Ales "on tap".

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Re: bourbon with your meal

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Although the subject has come up in the past (I did a little searching) I would like to get peoples opinions. Also we have a lot of new members since the topic was last discussed in depth.

I enjoy bourbon/rye, usually neat, as an accompaniment with certain meal combinations. Steak, prime rib, grilled pork chops and roast pork loin are my favorite meats to have alongside a nice pour. Side dishes that don't clash with or aren't overpowered by the whiskey are, in my experience, a bit problematic. My favorites are sweetcorn (with lots of butter), mashed potatoes with garlic and chives, and wild rice (the nutty, earthy flavor goes well with just about any bourbon).

My worst experience with bourbon as an accompaniment to a meal was WT 101 and water with liver and onions. Worst side dish was mac and cheese.

What are your experiences, good and not so good? Favorite meal combos, side dishes?
    When I drink bourbon I don't eat. I just want the flavor of the bourbon, nothing else. Especially with a fine bourbon, I almost feel like I would tarnish the taste of the bourbon if I mixed in some food with it. Although...I have HEAVILY marinaded my steak IN bourbon.

Guru

I almost never have a bourbon with a meal. If I'm at a business dinner and have the remains of a bourbon when the meal is served I will finish a drink but never have bourbon with a meal at home.

I will have a high quality micro brew beer or a glass of wine with dinner at least once a weekend.

Disciple

Durring the summer we tend to eat alot of venison jerkey. The jerkey is made in a variety of different styles, from slim jim to dried strips. We have not found a bourbon yet that won't due just fine.
    Also, try any type of nut or seed, roasted and salted for appetisers, plane for adding to main courses or dessert. ie: cashew chicken and Makers, bourbon/pecan brownies, bourbon/molasis/mustard vinegrette

I hope this helps your bourbon and food paring. I don't usually drink bourbon with my meal, rather sip it as a pallet cleanser a few times. Water tends to be my drink of choice in majority.

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Bourbon with a meal => Never

Bourbon used in meal preparation => Frequent

Dawn

Disciple

Here in Sweden we have a long tradition of drinking spirit with food. We call it snaps and is almost always flavoured neutral spirits with are sold here in a very big selection. Many including myself do there own flavouring as well. I havenít tried bourbon with food but I have found that young rye goes very well with the same type of food we drink snaps with.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

I am with the majority in that I rarely have bourbon with food. Generally, with food, it's wine or my homebrew (or plain ol' water). However, I do cook/marinate with it, and I have been working on trying out some pairings to see what might work. I'll post anything I come up with that is truly earth-shattering.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I only drink bourbon with meals in Bardstown or Louisville, and I always enjoy it. Recently at a Russian-themed restaurant I sipped vodka throughout and found it helped digestion and was not "too much". The reason I don't do it at home, I think, is not so much that it doesn't go, but usually I have one before dinner and I limit it to one inasmuch as a beer or wine usually washes down the food. So it is more limiting overall consumption than anything else.

But in L'ville/B'town it's party party party..

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    Here in Sweden we have a long tradition of drinking spirit with food. We call it snaps and is almost always flavoured neutral spirits with are sold here in a very big selection. Many including myself do there own flavouring as well. I havenít tried bourbon with food but I have found that young rye goes very well with the same type of food we drink snaps with.

Leif
    Interesting. Being part Swedish myself all the more so. If genetics has anything to do with it, I had always assumed my appreciation of fine spirits came from my Irish half.

I really like grilled pork with WT rye. What types of food do you eat with snaps or rye? What young ryes do you like?