Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hello and a Thank You

Well, I found this site this weekend wondering what my next bourbon purchase should be, and came across this site and the discussion. I'm glad I did.

First, I am originally from the South, so I suppose my love of bourbon was passed along at birth. However, it was not until after graduate school, and when I got a job that paid me real money, that I started to venture out of the typical bourbon college selections - Jim Beam and, when deciding to splurge, Makers. Well, I expanded my horizons a little and found Knob Creek and Wild Turkey to be regular friends although I enjoyed trying new bottles.

Well, the other night, after careful review and much thought I headed to my local liquor store, which incedentally has a wonderful bourbon selection, and picked up a bottle of Rip Van Winkle Lot B. As I sit here now on my second wonderful glass of sweet and smooth bourbon, I can only say thank you. Thank you for leading me towards a phenomenal drink that I will enjoy. I may not become a regular contributor here, but I will definitely come back for some recemmendations. Thanks!!

Connoisseur

Re: Hello and a Thank You

Well, you are sure welcome. That is what we are here for! Don't make your self a stranger though, you will find this site sucks you in.

Lot B is a consistently 'premium' pour, indeed. Where are you from these days?
    Tim

Guru

The VW Lot B, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye and Rock Hill Farms have each spent time in the number one slot of my personal top ten list of American whiskies. (So has Wild Turkey 12 y/o, but it has become rare enough on shelves in the U.S. that I'm no longer sure it deserves a mention.)

I'm also becoming quite fond of the Pappy Van Winkle 15 y/o.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Lot B is a consistently 'premium' pour, indeed. Where are you from these days?
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I moved up to DC after leaving UGA about 4 years ago. I like DC although it is pretty expensive. There are actually two bars up here called "Bourbon" that have a pretty good selection.

And to flashpuppy, I probably will get sucked in because I enjoy bourbon so much. I'll try not to let the fact that I'm not an expert or simply a new enthusiast preclude me from spouting off every now and then.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Thumbs up Re: Hello and a Thank You

Welcome aboard. I believe there are a few of you Dawgs on the site. Coming home to see your alma mater for the Chick-fil-A bowl? As co-founder, current vice president, and president-elect of the 2 member Georgia Bourbon Society, I extend a sincere invitation to join our exclusive group! We will be conducting our 26th bourbon tasting over the Holidays. Bring along your Lot B and we'll see how she fares with our planned review of the 2006 BTAC, and BTEC. I am sure it will hold up well.
    Again, Welcome!
    JOE