Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Ordering Spirits Online Question NYS

Can anyone clarify what the law is on ordering spirits online? I'll start by saying I live in New York State and have ordered from Hi Times in California, and Sams in Chicago both about a year ago. I tried to place an order at Sams the other night and they no longer ship to NY State because of recent law changes. Is that law changes in Illinois? or New York?

I later placed an order with Sherry-Lehmann and had no problem and my order arrived. I was wondering if it is because they are in NY? I was also wondering if anyone knew of a different place that I could order from that has a good variety of bourbon, Sherry-Lehmann doesn't carry very much.
    Thanks in advance...

Guru

Re: Ordering Spirits Online Question NYS

In regard to my state Sam's says no; Hi Time says no (a change about a year ago); Binny's says yes (or did last time I tried, perhaps three months back).

Give Binny's a try. No promises.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    In regard to my state Sam's says no; Hi Time says no (a change about a year ago); Binny's says yes (or did last time I tried, perhaps three months back).

Give Binny's a try. No promises.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    That is really strange because aren't Sam's and Binny's both in Chicago? See that's what I mean, what is the law?

Guru

Strange, indeed -- for that very reason.

The way I read the Arizona law, it seems to me that there are some administrative things the shipper is supposed to do to gain permission to do business here. Perhaps Binny's thinks Arizona's business is worth the fuss.

Or maybe the law is so confusing (as my engineering/accounting brain found it to be) that Sam's reads it one way and Binny's another.

The sudden change in Hi Times' policy is equally perplexing. Almost certainly the restriction, if any, is on the Arizona end, and yet there was no change in our laws that coincided with the mid-year change in their policy.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

The last time I was at Hi-Times website back in early/mid Nov. scouring around for a source of the 2006 antique collection their website said they were "shipping spirits in California only at this time". I can only suppose it has something to do with MADD's media blitz this past summer about kids supposedly ordering booze on line.

If anything ordering liquor on line is a pain in the ass.

How many teenagers have there own credit cards anyway. At least cards that they themselves pay the bill.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    If anything ordering liquor on line is a pain in the ass.
    I find it very convenient and I love the variety from a "good" online store.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by brian12069 View Post
    I find it very convenient and I love the variety from a "good" on line store.
    Perhaps I was a bit harsh, the major and frankly only inconvenience I was thinking of is having to be home when the UPS truck shows up. Both the wife and I work days. however being a millwright my work is seasonal. I'm usually off most of the winter. Except for the occasional service call and scheduled feed mill shutdowns etc.

Connoisseur

I have never been here when they show up. I wouldn't have time to do that. That would be inconvenient!

Taster

www.wineandliquordepot.com in CA has a great selection. Price not to bad. Just ordered a AHH 16yr @$72.00

Guru

Were it not for on-line shipping from Binny's etc. I would never have had any of the Antique Collection etc. Bret from Binny's has always been very helpful and friendly. And the selection at Binny's and Sam's is phenomenal. For that I am thankful.