Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    **DONOTDELETE**

Fire at Wild Turkey Warehouse!

Did you catch this story? You can find it at: http://www.alcoholreviews.com
    It's listed under the featured links in the bottom left side of the page.

I wonder if this means there will be a shortage and rising prices....

Cheers,

Kevin R. Kosar, Editor
    AlcoholReviews.com

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fire at Wild Turkey Warehouse!

I have not read the story yet but i will however i understand they have more than twenty warehouses for aging so i hope availabilty and price wont be affected.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't think Boulevard (Wild Turkey) has twenty warehouses, more like a dozen. In addition to the ones by the distillery (including the one that burned) they have three or four over by Four Roses, on the other side of Lawrenceburg. They may have more. As distilleries go out of business, the remaining companies buy and use their warehouses.

It is doubtful this loss will have any significant impact on the price or availabilty of Wild Turkey. Heaven Hill, after all, lost 7 warehouses and 7.7 million gallons of whiskey, along with their distillery in 1996 and the impact of that hasn't been felt in the marketplace.

Wild Turkey is different because they only sell one brand, Wild Turkey. But they have more flexibility now than they did a few years ago, when Wild Turkey 101 was an 8-year-old. Now the brand carries no age statement, so the whiskey can be 4-years-old and a day, if necessary. This isn't to suggest that Wild Turkey will lower their quality standards to stretch their stocks. I don't believe they would do that under any circumstances and I doubt it will be necessary in this case.

It is quite remarkable that there have been two distillery fires just four years apart. Before the Heaven Hill inferno, the last fire of which I am aware took place in the 1920s.

--Chuck Cowdery

Enthusiast

I dug this thread up trying to find information about a few warehouses I drive by on occasion. I think the number of warehouses stated, 20, might include the 4 or so warehouses on the side of US-27 in Jessimine County, right before you go over the river into Garrard County. These are very close to Camp Nelson. I stopped and looked for a sign today and there was one that said "Boulevard Distilleries and Imports". So are these a part of Wild Turkey. They had bourbon in them because you could clearly smell it. I'm just curious as to what the story behind this place is. Was there once a distillery there along with the warehouses?

Guru

Yes, I believe that what we would call the "Wild Turkey distillery" is officially named Boulevard Distillery.

Tim

Enthusiast

There are actually atleast 6, and maybe a couple more that you can't see from the road.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

This one really had me stumped, as I have never come across the warehouses you mention and I fancied that I knew just about every site in Kentucky where any remnants of a distillery still stood, especially where warehouses were still in use. Finally I grabbed my Cecil and came up with E.J. Curley & Company, aka Kentucky River Distillery (Cecil, p. 98). It was built in 1880. In recent times, Norton Simon owned it in the 60s and operated it under the Canada Dry name until they bought Stitzel-Weller in 1972. The distillery building burned down. Seagram's used the warehouse for Four Roses until they built Lotus, at which time they leased them to Wild Turkey.

Thanks for giving me something new to check out next time I'm in Kentucky.

Enthusiast

3 of them are easily seen from the road. They aren't small either. I noticed them a long time ago, I just never really thought anything of them. Too bad they are a 30 miles or so off the typical distillery path.