Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggnog

Guru

Re: Eggnog

Calder's is a private local southeast Michigan dairy that has superb products.

The eggnog is about $9.00/quart and is so thick I think you can almost cut it with a knife. Of course cutting it with good bourbon and some fresh nutmeg is best.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.calderdairy.com/

Guru

I got a bottle of Calder Bros yesterday, $8.59 qt at Busch's in Saline, and yeah you are right it is thick.
    I poured some in a rocks glass and then added the bourbon and it sat on top of the egg nog.

Guru

Yes it does, you actually need to mix it. This is one of the few times I use my professional chemistry training these days.

Merry Christmas.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    I got a bottle of Calder Bros yesterday, $8.59 qt at Busch's in Saline, and yeah you are right it is thick.
    I poured some in a rocks glass and then added the bourbon and it sat on top of the egg nog.
    Probably too late to find some now but I'll look for it next year. I moved to Saline in July and this is our regular grocery store. I'm still discovering the local products - additional suggestions are welcome.
    Craig

Guru

You might be able to find it at Hiller's or Busch's if you have either in Saline.

Connoisseur

Has anybody spotted the Calder's eggnog yet this year?
    Craig

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Has anybody spotted the Calder's eggnog yet this year?
    Craig
    cas you Dog,...but I have to admit I have been thinking about it.
    I bought a bottle of Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 Year Old the last time I was in Chicago and I am holding it to mix with Calder's Egg Nog.
    ovh

Guru

I have not seen Calder's Eggnog in the stores yet this season. I don't recall seeing it before Thanksgiving in the past.

For those not in SE MI, this is a local dairy farm that has its own store and also sells some products to local grocery stores. It is the best most calorie and cholesterol laden eggnog I've ever had. It is a treat with either bourbon or rum and some nutmeg.

Enthusiast

Strange to notice that eggnog (advocaat as we call it) is a seasonal drink in the States,in Holland it is a part of the everyday life used as dessert,in a cocktail or in pies.Traditionally it is made here with brandy sugar vanilla and chickeneggyolks,some recipes give extras like hazelnuts,chocolate or gooseeggs or even quailseggs.The drink was usually given to women that just had a baby to recover their strength again but with a lot of medicinal potions,they tasted good even if you weren`t sick or recovering.Every shop has a big assortment of brands and varieties.To make it with anything else rather than brandy is strange to me but worth a try.
    Eric.
    Netherlands

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by special_reserve View Post
    It is the best most calorie and cholesterol laden eggnog I've ever had.

So it bypasses the digestive tract altogether and just lodges right in the coronary artery? It must be tasty!
    Craig