Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggnog

Guru

Re: Eggnog

Depending upon your physiology, it may not end up in your coronary artery.

This is very thick eggnog, I think it must be diluted with bourbon or rum.

Virtuoso

I have to agree with Will this stuff pours like wet plaster and coats the stomache the same way. I was raised with the Calder's truck delivering milk to our milk box as a kid. Their stuff is of the highest of quality!!

Hey Oscar you bringing the Calder's Saturday??

For anyone in the Michigan, Northern Ohio areas? PM me if you're not doing the after Thanksgiving sales a small group of us will be doing some tasting!!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Guru

I made a couple of calls today.
    Coleman's Farm Market in Ypsilanti and Busch's in Saline.
    Both had no Calder's Egg Nog.
    Busch's said, "hopefully Monday."

Hey Tony, I'll be there but without the Calder's.
    ovh

Connoisseur

i've often thought eggnog is great...but being a bourbon drinker, it's a real conundrum putting the two together. when it good it's GOOD!

but what quality bourbon to put in? i can't bear to put my WT (any bottling) in....JB? a quality mid-shelf whiskey?

right now, still wondering how best to use this friggin' bottle of Heaven Hill...should i mix it with my new quart of Southern Comfort Eggnog (bought at the grocery story)? or will the HH ruin the eggnog....

i am NOT a cocktail drinker...but i enjoy a bloody mary, mimosa or eggnog when the season demands it...yeah, even a crown and coke!

but i HAD to counter that odd HH rag/cabbage taste/smell and made a BITTER LEMON mix with it...man, that taste still crept thru...

o should i give HH a shot in my eggnog!!???
    HUP!

Connoisseur

WT and Old Charter are both great. I don't really like straight rye in egg nog. Nor do I like a wheater. While OC and WT are some of my favorites neat, I don't have anything against using 'em in egg nog. If I'm going to the trouble of making homemade nog, I ain't skimping on the whiskey.

Guru

I have never used anything but a wheater in egg nog.
    Very Special Old Fitzgerald and Maker's Mark are the only I have tried.
    I think this year I will try some of the 8 year old Wild Turkey 101 I got at Duty Free.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Maybe I should give VSOF or MM a shot. I don't have either right now, but could pick one of the two up. Weller 107 is a bit too caramel apple flavored, and Weller SR isn't something I keep around. I haven't tried a S-W wheater. VSOF and MM are inexpensive enough to take the risk, I think.

Guru

Something you should remember as a rule of thumb when mixing bourbon with eggnog or anything else for that matter. The better the bourbon the better the drink. Period. I thought you guys would have figured that out by now!
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Egg nog is from a very early Northern European tradition that predates the common availability of distilled spirits and was originally made with ale. I've not come across a tradition of using scotch whiskey in egg nog. In the UK, like the Netherlands, it's usually brandy, maybe rum. Brandy and rum figure in a lot of recipes here too, with some calling for both, but lots of people make it with bourbon and several bourbon-makers sell pre-mixes at this time of year.

The fall holidays are when many Americans reach back into the heritages they came from to pluck out a food, drink or other tradition. I wouldn't say people here exclusively drink it during the holidays, but certainly most of it is consumed during the winter. Can you imagine drinking egg nog in July?

Southern Comfort is a good alcohol for egg nog.

Enthusiast

Well Chuck i can because we do.Eggnog is used troughout the year,being used in desserts,cakes,chocolate filling, cocktails or straight.Here it is not a seasonal drink but the consistancy of our eggnog is thicker and indeed brandy is used or sometimes rum but never whiskies or gin.It is an easy to make drink and in Holland there are a lot of varieties in taste or structure but vanilla is one of the main ingredients always used.I didn`t know the origin was European always thought that it came from the Caribbean where colonists made a drink using avocado as ingredient and as they went back to Europe they try to make this drink with the ingredients that were locally available.Avocado explains the Dutch name for Advocaat in that way.
    Eric.
    Netherlands