Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggnog

Connoisseur

Re: Eggnog

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    they also had this years edition of the glass quart for $9.49.
    That's the one that's in our fridge. I didn't see a cheaper one. And there's no deposit on the glass one either...
    Craig

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TnSquire View Post
    Has anyone tried Four Roses recipe yet?
    The Four Roses recipe seems to be awfully strong (one pint of FR, plus an amount of Myers's Rum...or at least that's what was called for decades ago).

Self-proclaimed Cocktail King Dale DeGroff says that his great-uncle Angelo was the person whose recipe won a Four Roses contest; the original "Uncle Angelo's Eggnog", however, calls for 6 oz of bourbon (1 oz per eggnog serving, a perfectly reasonable amount) and 3 oz of dark rum; the other ingredients are the same proportions. Obviously Frankfort Distillers needed to move some whiskey, and FR came in pint bottles.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    The Four Roses recipe seems to be awfully strong (one pint of FR, plus an amount of Myers's Rum...or at least that's what was called for decades ago).

Self-proclaimed Cocktail King Dale DeGroff says that his great-uncle Angelo was the person whose recipe won a Four Roses contest; the original "Uncle Angelo's Eggnog", however, calls for 6 oz of bourbon (1 oz per eggnog serving, a perfectly reasonable amount) and 3 oz of dark rum; the other ingredients are the same proportions. Obviously Frankfort Distillers needed to move some whiskey, and FR came in pint bottles.
    Looking at the recipe on the FR site, it seems that the alcohol is within reason. The recipe makes 5 pints which is 10 8oz servings with a 16 oz pint of whiskey and 1oz of rum...so 1.7 oz of liquor per serving.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

It does my heart good to see this thread renewed.

Well, actually, it probably doesn't do my heart any good, at least the coronary arteries, to drink egg nog. But I thank you all in memory of my father, whose recipe, a descendant of the original Four Roses one, started this thread.

Cheers to all for the holidays!

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Enthusiast

The NPR show Science Friday has a video on the safety of using raw eggs in spiked eggnog. Fun video, although the results were inconclusive.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Guru

YES!!
    It's back!
    Calder Eggnog has made it's welcomed appearance early this year.
    I picked some up at Bush's in Saline and having some mixed with WLWeller Centennial right now, as they say, sweets for the sweet.
    ovh

Virtuoso

Ah... Eggnog. I have tried numerous recipes, the best of which are all pretty similiar..... eggs , sugar, cream, booze. The major variant seems to be the % of booze which runs from 10% to as high as 55% in some recipes I have tried.

IMO what makes a major difference in flavor is aging. I typically age mine for 6 - 8 weeks.... drinking it through the holiday season from Thanksgiving through New Years. When first made the flavors are easy to identify... eggs, cream, sugar, booze. As the brew ages the flavors meld, the consistency thickens and the mouth feel becomes very silky.

I use at least 20-25% alcohol and store the eggnog in the fridge below 40F. I would not recommend aging an alcohol free eggnog.
    Last edited by cigarnv; 11-21-2009 at 03:48.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Finally found the Evan Williams eggnog today. Put it in the fridge for tasting later tonight.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

I was tempted to pick up some eggnog today, but I passed. I am craving it, so I will probably get some very soon. I'll most likely go for the non-alcoholic vesion and add some liquor (bourbon, of course) to make it my own.

Connoisseur

I am in heaven! Just cracked open the Evan Williams eggnog. It beats the pants off the Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog.

Thank you, Bettye Jo and friends!
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request