Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Eggnog

Disciple

Re: Eggnog

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    has anyone tried VOB in nog?
    VOBBIB has been my go-to bourbon lately for mixing with the WaWa EggNog. I usually use 3:1 VOBBIB:EggNog.

Guru

I think wheaters work best.
    Old Weller Antique at 107prf holds up good and the sweetness compliments the eggnog.
    ovh

Connoisseur

YES!! The Evan Williams has finally arrived. I grabbed half a case today.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    YES!! The Evan Williams has finally arrived. I grabbed half a case today.
    I bought a couple the other day...I'm not a big eggnog fan, but I do like the Evan Williams product.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Virtuoso

Ok, I compared the Pennsylvania Dutch with the Evan Williams eggnog, and the EW is much better IMO.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    Ok, I compared the Pennsylvania Dutch with the Evan Williams eggnog, and the EW is much better IMO.
    Thought the PA Dutch was good, but EW definitely has more kick. After a couple of sips, I spiked the PA Dutch with some WSR. That made it much better!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    Thought the PA Dutch was good, but EW definitely has more kick. After a couple of sips, I spiked the PA Dutch with some WSR. That made it much better!
    It's not just the kick for me but also the thicker creamier texture of the EW, and the overall taste.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I'll be getting a bottle of the EW again this year. It's good. But, for the time being, it's Dimple Bottled Old Forester BIB in my Borden's in the can Nog.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

I just got these award-winning recipes in an e-mail from talesofthecocktail.com.

New Orleans’ Best Bourbon Spiked Eggnog Crowned at Tales of the Toddy

Chris Hannah of Arnaud’s French 75 Bar created the winning cocktail, the Blue Hawaiian Nog, whilst Ian Julian (Pumpkin Trace) and Steven Yamada (Nog I Yam) tied for second place.

In addition to the one-of-a-kind cocktails and cuisine enjoyed at Tales of the Toddy, the first-ever Bourbon Spiked Eggnog Competition settled the discussion of who has New Orleans’ best Bourbon Spike Eggnog. Eighteen of the city’s best bartenders came together at the Hyatt Regency to enter their recipes but in the end it was Chris Hannah of Arnaud’s French 75 who won with his Blue Hawaiian Nog.

Chris Hannah excitedly exclaimed that “My inspiration came from Don Ho to create a tiki themed eggnog that took months but in the end I am thrilled the response was a winning cocktail!”

Made with Benchmark bourbon, Blue Curacao, banana/ pineapple cream, the Blue Hawaiian Nog puts a twist on the traditional eggnog cocktail. Use the recipe below to add this cocktail treat to your holiday festivities.

Blue Hawaiian Nog
    Chris Hannah
    Arnaud’s French 75

Recipe Serves: 2
    Individual Serving Size: 8oz

2 oz Benchmark Bourbon
    .25 oz Blue Curacao
    1.25 oz Banana/Pineapple/Cream
    Piece Egg
    Pinch Nutmeg Spice grounds
    Piece Pineapple slice

In a cocktail shaker add the Bourbon, Blue Curacao, Banana/Pineapple Heavy Cream and the egg with ice. Shake and strain over 2 ice filled old-fashioned glasses, garnish with pineapple slice and nutmeg sprinkles.

2ND PLACE TIE

Pumpkin Trace
    Ian Julian
    Hyatt Regency’s Vitascope Bar

1.5 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon
    .75 oz Pumpkin spice syrup
    .25 oz DiSaronno Amaretto
    2.5oz Brown’s Dairy Eggnog

Build all ingredients into a shaker and shake it with a beat and strain into a glass with no ice and top with roasted pumpkin seed as a garnish

Nog I Yam
    Steven Yamada
    Victory Bar

.5 oz Benchmark Bourbon
    3 oz Sweet Potato Eggnog
    1 oz Spiced Marshmallow Fluff

Sweet Potato Puree: Peel a Sweet Potato and slice into medium thick pieces. Place on baking sheet and cover with 2 Tablespoons of Salt and 1 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar. Gently toss and then bake at 350 F for about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add all chunks of Sweet Potato and any Juice into a food processor and thoroughly puree.

Sweet Potato Eggnog: Combine 3 Whole Eggs plus 1 Egg Yolk in Medium Saucepan and beat thoroughly with whisk. Set burner to lowest setting and, while stirring, add 2 Cups Whole Brown’s Dairy Milk, 1/2 Cup Sugar, and 1 Cup Sweet Potato Puree. Continue to stir for about 20 minutes or until mixture reaches 160 F. Bottle and refrigerate overnight.

Spiced Marshmallow Fluff: Beat 3 Egg Whites, 1 Cups of Light Corn Syrup, and 1/2 Tsp of Salt for about 10 minutes or until thick. Turn mixer speed to low and slowly add 2 Cups of Confectioner's Sugar. Then add 1 Tablespoon of Cardamom/Ginger Simple Syrup.

Nog I Yam: Combine Sweet Potato Eggnog and Bourbon. Top with Marshmallow Fluff. Lightly scorch fluff with a small torch.

Serve Straight Up, Cold

About Tales of the Cocktail®
    Tales of the Cocktail® is the world’s premier cocktail festival, bringing together the most respected minds on mixology for five days of cocktails, cuisine and culture. Held annually in New Orleans, this international event has something for cocktail professionals and enthusiasts alike with a spirited schedule of seminars, dinners, competitions and tasting rooms where brands showcase their latest products. Tales of the Cocktail® returns in 2012 for a historic milestone—its 10th Anniversary of rocking the cocktail world. Join the celebration July 25-29, 2012 and see how Tales of the Cocktail® only gets better with age.

About the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society
    The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society (NOCCPS) is a non-profit organization committed to preserving the unique culture of cocktails and cuisine in New Orleans and beyond. Since it’s founding in 2006 the NOCCPS has supported members of the hospitality industry through programs like the new Apprentice Aid Fund, providing financial assistance to former apprentices in times of medical need, the Cocktail Apprentice Scholarship Program and the Flo Woodward Memorial Scholarship as well as the production of events like Tales of the Cocktail®.

####

Enthusiast

Once thanks Jeff for sharing your dad's recipe. I would encourage everyone to give the recipe a try as it really easy to make and tastes way better than the premade stuff. I made this years batch last weekend with freshly bought eggs to satisfy the Sister In Law that freaked when she found out I was making at Thanksgiving.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain