Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Eggnog

Connoisseur

Re: Eggnog

My daughter and her family came up to visit us. I am happy to say I corrupted them with a bottle of Evan Williams eggnog. They were suitably impressed.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

The wife whipped up a triple batch of Alton Brown's egg nog recipe for our Christmas party Saturday night. She's the nervous sort, so she did the "cooked" variant. We went with Maker's Mark, but she added about half again as much as the recipe called for.

It's awesome stuff. I just enjoyed a nice pour of the leftovers....

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by HipFlask View Post
    Once thanks Jeff for sharing your dad's recipe.
    You're welcome, Tim. I just checked in here today for the first time in a few weeks (I'm so inactive here that there have been rumors of my death), and am glad that people are still enjoying the recipe. It has been made literally around the world by readers of SB.com and HomeBrew Digest, where I first shared it.

My daughter is out at the store just now buying ingredients for our annual batch, which we'll enjoy today and tomorrow.
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Enthusiast

Time for my annual bump to keep this thread alive, and to post a link to the original post I made about my dad's eggnog, which started the thread. I've just reread the thread, and it's good reading. Newcomers might like to read it, too. And I'm still alive, Oscar, despite not posting much!

Just last week I got an email from someone who has made this recipe a family tradition. It's gratifying to see that it's made it around the world, including the Southern Hemisphere, although I don't think it would be quite as appealing on a Australian beach on December 25 as it is in front of the fireplace in Michigan.
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Enthusiast

Great story behind the recipe! Below is a recipe courtesy of KegWorks for those concerned about raw eggs. It calls for brandy instead of bourbon, but substitutions are not prohibited. I haven't tried it yet. I'm still in the process of collecting egg nogg and punch recipes for the holidays. I need to start experimenting before it's too late.

Easier than Egg Nogg Punch
    Ingredients:
    1 c
    sugar
    1 c dark rum
    c brandy
    2 tbsp vanilla extract
    8 c whole milk
    Grated nutmeg

Directions:
    1. Dissolve sugar in rum, brandy, and vanilla extract in a very large pitcher (at least -gallon capacity).
    2. Add milk and freeze until very cold or slushy (4 - 8 hours).
    3. Pour into glasses, sprinkle nutmeg over the top and serve.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I continue to be lazy. Just purchased my yearly bottle of Evan Williams Egg Nog. One of these days, though...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I continue to be lazy. Just purchased my yearly bottle of Evan Williams Egg Nog. One of these days, though...
    I'm with ya, Joe. I'm not a huge eggnog fan but always buy a bottle of the Evan Williams nog. I'm sure I'll make up a homemade batch at some point, but that EW stuff is good and just so easy!
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Enthusiast

No eggs, no cream -- it's the heart-healthy alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Great story behind the recipe! Below is a recipe courtesy of KegWorks for those concerned about raw eggs. It calls for brandy instead of bourbon, but substitutions are not prohibited. I haven't tried it yet. I'm still in the process of collecting egg nogg and punch recipes for the holidays. I need to start experimenting before it's too late.

Easier than Egg Nogg Punch
    Ingredients:
    1 c
    sugar
    1 c dark rum
    c brandy
    2 tbsp vanilla extract
    8 c whole milk
    Grated nutmeg

Directions:
    1. Dissolve sugar in rum, brandy, and vanilla extract in a very large pitcher (at least -gallon capacity).
    2. Add milk and freeze until very cold or slushy (4 - 8 hours).
    3. Pour into glasses, sprinkle nutmeg over the top and serve.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    No eggs, no cream -- it's the heart-healthy alternative!
    That was part of their pitch.

At the risk of thread drift, KegWorks has some other interesting holiday recipes as well:
    http://www.kegworks.com/company/the-...mp=hp-MANual-6

Guru

I intend on trying Jeff's recipe, but just for giggles I picked up some Anderson-Erickson Egg Nog in the refrigerated section today. Too sweet, but dumping in some Weller Antique cuts it down to a tolerable level. I suppose it's meant to be drunk with added bourbon/rum/brandy. I can't see how anyone could drink it unleaded. Way too sweet.