Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Eggnog

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Eggnog

I've been drinking Borden's EggNog out of the can for about as long as I can remember. I'd drink a whold dang can at one sitting when I was a kid. The can was nicely printed with comforting graphics. No paper label. Solid. It's like a tradition that I buy a can every year. This year, they've switched over to one of those boxes thingees, like the kid's juice boxes, but bigger. Isn't anything sacred anymore??? OK, the box is resealable. More economically efficient, I'm sure. Easier to handle. Yadda yadda yadda...Fiddlesticks!!!!!!!! "New Improved Packaging!" the box says. Oh, why don't you blow me, Elsie. I guess some wiseaker will do away with the jellied cranberry sauce in the can next, so I can't see my cranberries with the rings from the can indented on them at Thanksgiving!!!!

I'll try and catch the milkman early tomorrow morning while he's making the delivery in our milkbox, and ask him if he has a substitute...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

It's a conspiracy Joe, I tell 'ya . . .

Virtuoso

That made me chuckle a little, Joe.

I'm always hollering about something changing that's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My wife just tells me to get over it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I think I found the problem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXRM3lFRwRI
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

I had eggnog for the first time ever last night on Christmas Eve. I took a bottle of Evan Williams egg nog to a friends house. It was a lot thicker than what I was expecting but the flavor was ok. Maybe I will try to make homemade eggnog next year.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Pendennis Club Eggnog

(from Beverages de Luxe, published in 1914 by The Wine & Spirit Bulletin, pre-WWI back issues of which are on Google Books and are completely fascinating to look at.)

(One Gallon)

Take the yellow of one dozen eggs.

One pound granulated sugar.

One teaspoon nutmeg.

One-half pint cream, and beat well together. Then take one quart Kentucky Bourbon Whisky, one quart Cognac, and one pint Jamaica Rum, beat all together. Take one quart rich cream and beat until stiff, then add to the above mixture very slowly, whipping until well mixed. Serve in punch cups.

(facsimile autograph) Louis Herring

Superintendent.

Virtuoso

I have made my batch for next holiday season. I am glad I have prepared ahead of time, it is so much better with age on it.

Best regards, Tony

Enthusiast

I made the "Easier than Egg Nog Punch" recipe I posted earlier. AND, with nutmeg and a cinnamon stick, I coined a new phrase as I lifted the cup to my face: "Smells like Santa's ass." Kinda leaves you scratchin' your head. On one hand, it's Santa so it can't be bad. On the other, it's his ass.

Enthusiast

OK, let's keep this thread alive. I'm at our daughter's house and about to make the annual eggnog with my father's famous recipe. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...6&postcount=10

so, if you haven't tried it, what's holding you back?
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943