Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggnog

Guru

Re: Eggnog

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Ah... Eggnog. I have tried numerous recipes, the best of which are all pretty similiar..... eggs , sugar, cream, booze. The major variant seems to be the % of booze which runs from 10% to as high as 55% in some recipes I have tried.

IMO what makes a major difference in flavor is aging. I typically age mine for 6 - 8 weeks.... drinking it through the holiday season from Thanksgiving through New Years. When first made the flavors are easy to identify... eggs, cream, sugar, booze. As the brew ages the flavors meld, the consistency thickens and the mouth feel becomes very silky.

I use at least 20-25% alcohol and store the eggnog in the fridge below 40F. I would not recommend aging an alcohol free eggnog.
    What alc do you use Reid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    What alc do you use Reid?
    Em, good morning. I tend to use rye based bourbons... as of late I have really liked the 4 Roses yellow label. I also have used and liked EW black, Barton and WT. I like the lower proofs for nog.

As for brandy I have always used Christian Brothers as it has decent flavor and is reasonably priced. On the rum side I use a rum that I would be happy drinking neat such as a Mount Gay, Appleton or FdC.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Just on a lark this morning, I took some grocery-store brand commercial eggnog, poured about 8 oz into a mug, then added (unmeasured) a dollop of Baby Saz and a slightly smaller dollop of WT Rye.

Eggnog + rye whiskey = liquid bliss.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I am in heaven! Just cracked open the Evan Williams eggnog. It beats the pants off the Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog.

Thank you, Bettye Jo and friends!

I was wondering if this was any good. We have a ton of it at the store, and it's $7.50.

I need to experiment to make a good eggnog recipe.

Enthusiast

I just made up a batch of the Renner Family recipe eggnog for this season. This is the first time I have made it so early but I heard that giving it some time to "age" really allows the ingredients to meld together.

Thanks again Jeff.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by shoshani View Post
    Just on a lark this morning, I took some grocery-store brand commercial eggnog, poured about 8 oz into a mug, then added (unmeasured) a dollop of Baby Saz and a slightly smaller dollop of WT Rye.

Eggnog + rye whiskey = liquid bliss.
    I mixed a couple eggnoggs with some Baby Saz for my Dad & Grandma -- they both claimed it was best eggnogg they ever had -- I sent my Dad home with the remainder of the Baby Saz for his future eggnogg pleasure.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Advanced Taster

Back in December 2005, Alton Brown did an episode of his "Good Eats" show entitled "The School of Hard Noggs" ... below are the links to part 1 and part 2 of this episode. Not only does he make a great Egg Nog, but he explains the technical stuff behind it as well....

The recipe is worth trying ... even if you substitute another bourbon for the Maker's Mark ... although I do think it's worth trying as is ... at least once.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTLT...555BC&index=24

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqAqk...555BC&index=25

This isn't meant to be self-serving ... even though I am in the episode ... (although it was quite fun) ... just thought the recipe is worth a go...
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Enthusiast

Last night I had the pleasure of meeting Hecti1, CajunKY, Barturtle and CubaCroc at Bourbons Bistro here in L'ville. We got to talking with the owner who Timothy and Charles seem to know pretty well. He gave us samples of some eggnog he made with William Larue Weller...OH. MY. GOD that stuff was incredible.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Ah man....Ya'll got me to get a hankerin' for some eggnog, now. I've been fighting the urge. I'm heading to Publix to pick up my Borden Eggnog in the can. I always get the can, as that's what we always had as a kid. Hmmm, WLW in the nog, you say Iron. OK, that's what it will be.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama