Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggnog

Enthusiast

Re: Eggnog

Stop Joe, stop!! I too was lured by this discussion to buy some commercial eggnog and try it with some bourbon. Ugh! the stuff I got was way too sweet and cloying. I have to cleanse the taste out with some Straight Bourbon.
    Amy

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bonneamie View Post
    Stop Joe, stop!! I too was lured by this discussion to buy some commercial eggnog and try it with some bourbon. Ugh! the stuff I got was way too sweet and cloying. I have to cleanse the taste out with some Straight Bourbon.
    Screeeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!! OK...puff...pufff....I'm stopped....puffff...puffff. Amy, I'm lured by the idea of making my nog from scratch, but doesn't it seem like a lot of trouble to make the real stuff? Plus, I really, really, really, like opening the Borden's can with the can opener. When's the last time you used the pointy end of a can opener? Huh?...HUUUHHHH??!! (You can probably tell that I'm easily amused...) And, Elsie is so cute. I've read here about your "Calder's?" that ya'll get up in the Mitten. Unfortunately, we can't get that Down South, here. Sooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm back off to Publix for the Borden's!

And, if it ain't good....Heck, even if it's GREAT....I'll probably cleanse with straight bourbon, anyways!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I've read here about your "Calder's?" that ya'll get up in the Mitten.
    No we get a lot of varieties, but after Calder's you'll never drink another.
    ovh

Enthusiast

Ok Joe. Please proceed either with the can and mixing bourbon of your choice. I would recomend lower shelf bourbon but you can certainly do it any way you want. Making it from scratch is quite easy. Seperating the eggs being the hardest part after that is just a matter of mixing it all together. Follow Mr. Renner's recipe at the start of this thread. You will find that there is quite a differnce in homemade vs. factory made. Go for it! Good luck and happy holidays.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I've read here about your "Calder's?" that ya'll get up in the Mitten. Unfortunately, we can't get that Down South, here. Sooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm back off to Publix for the Borden's!
    Calder's is a local dairy that offers a variety dairy products. I'm sure if you look you'll find dairy products for a local dairy near you. Calder's is not the only one just one that offers more "old-fashioned" style of products. In Livonia, I can get their milk and eggnog is glass bottles if I wanted.

http://www.calderdairy.com/

Enthusiast

I must confess that I didn't buy Calders (duh, why not) and got instead some other brand and lo-fat at that. It was over-flavored with nutmeg or something similar. I'll have to find some stray cats to feed it to and go buy the good stuff.
    Amy

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bonneamie View Post
    ...some other brand and lo-fat at that.
    Lo-fat, Amy say it isn't so.

I'll have very little eggnog during the year but I want either Guernsey or Calder.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post

I use at least 20-25% alcohol and store the eggnog in the fridge below 40F. I would not recommend aging an alcohol free eggnog.

Would you mind posting the recipe that you like the most?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Connoisseur

I found the perfect use for that bottle of ORVW10 that I don't care for - eggnog mixer! I add 2-3 ounces (per 60z glass) to the eggnog, and it is perfect.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

Better late than never, I suppose. Here's the recipe I used:

12 eggs, separated
    2 cups heavy cream
    6 cups whole milk
    1.5 cups sugar
    2 teasoons vanilla (I used bourbon barrel aged)
    2 cups bourbon ( I used OWA age stated)
    Freshly grated nutmeg to taste

In an electric mixer combine the egg yolks and sugar, beat for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the sugar is dissoved and the mixture reaches the "ribbon" stage

Turn the mixer speed to low and slowly add the bourbon and vanilla. Add the milk then place mixture covered in the refrigerator until ready for service.

About 30 minutes prior to serving, using a clean bowl and mixer beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. In another bowl whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold the cream into the yolk-milk mixture followed by doing the same with the egg whites.

Serve chilled. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey