Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggnog

Virtuoso

Re: Eggnog

My parents are in town and we were driving past Calder's in Lincoln Park today they have a sign on the window stating their egg nog is a 56 year tradition so we stopped and grabbed some. The fridge was empty but the guy out back said he just finished a fresh batch.

Mom, Dad and myself treated ourselves to a nice pour with some Lot B! Just wonderful! I can not think of a better way to wrap up the evening !

Nice post Mike, I may have to try that since Calders is seasonal.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Advanced Taster

I just whipped up a batch of eggnog using a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. It tastes more like ice cream than eggnog, but that's ok with me.

Eric

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    I just whipped up a batch of eggnog using a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. It tastes more like ice cream than eggnog, but that's ok with me.

Eric
    You must not have put enough booze in it
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead View Post
    You must not have put enough booze in it
    Yea, I didn't put any in it yet!

I made it without any alcohol so I could have some by itself if the mood strikes me, and one can add their booze of choice as needed. The only thing is, it isn't "custardy" like the store bought nog. Not that that's a bad thing, but adding booze to what essentially is melted vanilla ice cream may taste a bit strange. I suppose there's only one way to find out for sure

Eric

Enthusiast

Eric,

There are two things you can do for that "custardy" feel for you eggnog. First, you can make what is known as a 'boiled custard' instead of a traditional eggnog. With this method you heat the egg yolks and some of the milk to about 165-170 degrees while stirring constantly. This cooks the egg yolks without scrambling them which in turn thickens your finished product.

Second, check out the recipe I posted about a page ago in this thread. By separately whipping the cream and the eggwhites and folding them into the mixture you'll get a consistency that is thick, but airy. The only thing is that the air will eventually 'fall' out of your egg whites and whipped cream so it is best to do this as close to service time as possible.

And if you can force yourself, make it with the booze already in it. It really is delicious and tastes a lot less like ice cream even though the ingredients are virtually the same.
    Last edited by IronHead; 01-06-2010 at 09:57.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Advanced Taster

Here is a link to the recipe I used:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Christm...og/Detail.aspx

When I made it I did heat the yolks and the sweetened condensed milk over low heat until it reached 160F. I'm thinking the texture is different because this one calls for sweetened condensed milk instead of heavy cream or half and half. Next time I have some heavy cream I will try again.

Eric

Guru

I tought it be interesting to see this magazine ad from 1967 with some great looking eggnog and 4R's blended.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roses-life-12-22-1967-006.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	10157  
    ovh

Novice

For those of you who might not be as familiar with your rums as your bourbons, Coruba Dark would be an excellent dark Jamaican rum (instead of, say, Myers's). Much smoother and tasty to boot. A middle-shelf dark Jamiacan that you could drink straight if necessity dictated. If that's not available, Appleton V/X is good, although it is a gold Jamaican rum. You might have to add more to taste. Cool thread!

Guru

This is cool, the eggnog thread got a bump in August.
    And speaking of eggnog I made something special with it recentley.
    I saw a TV show on the cooking channel where this lady made waffels by cutting the milk down and topping it off with eggnog.
    I was looking for some half-n-half at the store and I saw eggnog, I couldn't belive it. The date was OK, expires in Sept so I got some.
    I don't have a waffel iron so I whipped up some pancakes.
    The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of milk, I used 1 cup milk and a 1/2 cup eggnog.
    The batter tasted great, when you flipped the pancakes you could smell the eggnog.
    Add maple syrup and applewood smoke bacon and it was heaven.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    This is cool, the eggnog thread got a bump in August.
    And speaking of eggnog I made something special with it recentley.
    I saw a TV show on the cooking channel where this lady made waffels by cutting the milk down and topping it off with eggnog.
    I was looking for some half-n-half at the store and I saw eggnog, I couldn't belive it. The date was OK, expires in Sept so I got some.
    I don't have a waffel iron so I whipped up some pancakes.
    The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of milk, I used 1 cup milk and a 1/2 cup eggnog.
    The batter tasted great, when you flipped the pancakes you could smell the eggnog.
    Add maple syrup and applewood smoke bacon and it was heaven.
    Nice recipe Oscar...everyone now.."It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"...BTW...106 degrees in my neighborhood today!
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.