Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Thank You

Connoisseur

Thank You

Hello,

I've already made a few posts before introducing myself. I guess I did this because I met several of you at the KBF. Thanks for the information I've gained on this site.

I've been drinking for more than 50 years. In my college days I drank Old Overholt and Lairds Applejack, because that was the best my budget could afford. As my budget and tastes expanded I eventually became a single malt and VSOP/XO drinker. My experience with bourbon was limited to a bottle passed around a campfire (usually doctored into a sickening sweet syrupy liquid) or the Old Crab Orchard that the Flight Surgeon passed out after a combat mission. Old Crab Orchard tasted fine at the debriefing (so would grain alcohol) but I'd never buy it.

Thanks to the tutelage I gained at the KBF, both at the distilleries and especially at the gazebo, I learned that bourbon can be a fine sipping whiskey. Most of the single barrels will stand up with single malts and cognacs. Even some of the cheaper bourbons have character, both on the nose and pallet (example: Henry McKenna @ < $17/1.75 liter). I Will now make the same statement about bourbon that I make about scotch: There's no such thing as bad bourbon, but there is over priced bourbon.

Has anyone else had trouble printing the acronyms? I can print the Terminology but the Bottlings doesn't print.

If there are any Old Crab Orchard lovers out there, please tell me some of your other favorite brands so that I can put those at the bottom of my list of bourbons to try.

Stu

Re: Thank You

Good to 'see' you again, Stu. I'm amused that out of the Gazebo bottles, the one you mention is the standard Henry McKenna . I realize, and agree with, the point you're making. Still, I hope you found one or two other bottles you liked.
    Tim

Connoisseur

Tim,
    Actually I got the Henry McKenna here locally on the recommendation of a liquor store owner who is a bourbon drinker. I figured for $16.xx + tax for 1.75 liters I couldn't go too far wrong. There were several memorable drinks at the gazebo, The most memorable was a glass that Julian poured for me of a whiskey that his Grandfather Made (I think it was Very Very Old Fitzgerald) Of everything I tasted, that stands out the most in my memory. The fact that I knew I'd probably never taste it again may have something to do with it, but reading some of the other comments about it makes me believe that I remember it so well because of the high quality. Look forward to seeing you again next September.
    Stu

Guru

Nice to see you here Stu. It was a pleasure meeting you at the Gazebo. I am not much of a Scotch drinker so I couldn't talk much about this subject when we last met. However, it is good to know that you also enjoy good bourbon. Stay well my friend.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"