Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

What is your favorite bourbon?

OK Folks

It is simple enough. Just what is your favorite bourbon? Take it down any way you like. Screen it. Segregate it any way you'd like to. You've only got one choice. What is it?

My choice for the verrry best bourbon on the planet is and remains to this very day Wild Turkey Kentuckey Spirit - dumped on 11-12-98 from barrel Number One stored in rickhouse E on rick number 2.

I said it. It's the truth. You can believe it.

Now you tell me - What's the very best bourbon you've ever tasted? No hemmin' or hawin'. One bottling and one bottling only. What is it? You've got one shot and one shot only.

What is it? Any distillery. Any brand. Any Year. Any proof. Have at it.

Your Great Grand Ma wears Army Boots!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What is your favorite bourbon?

Linn,
    This is an easy one for me. I have said before, and I will say again, that the all time best bourbon I have ever drank is Very Xtra Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond, distilled in 1968 and bottled in 1983. This bourbon was heaven on earth, the nectar of the gods, the one bourbon I would love to drink every day if I could find it. At 15 years old it was perfect. Julian's father had a great product in 1968 but this bottling was one for the record books. I know you don't care for wheated bourbons, but you would have loved this one.

Mike Veach

Taster

Whichever one happens to be in my glass at the moment. (sorry, I couldn't resist)

I would have to vote for Blanton's with the caveat that there are still so many bourbons that I haven't tried!! To be honest I've never purchased a bottle of Blanton's but a college buddy of mine, who also lived in Dallas, would always offer it when I visited. And you can be sure, I never refused. I normally have an aversion to spending more than $30 for a 750ml bottle of bourbon. Maybe that's part of why I enjoyed it so, it was a rare treat.

JR

Guru

This is too hard of a question, but...

The very best I ever tasted was the one and only drink I ever had of Blanton. I believe it was in 1988.

I can't wait until I can try it again. I plan to buy myself a bottle for Christmas. It is pretty far out of my price range, but I'm going to bite the bullet and do it (I hope).

Cheers, Tim

Connoisseur

Obviously my range is somewhat limited compared to some of you fellas. I have, for instance, tasted several Wild Turkeys but not the Kentucky Spirit (But believe me, I will).

Anyway, from the 30 or so bourbons that Iīve had the opportunity to taste, I would opt for Old Rip van Winkle, 15 year old, 107 proof. With all due respect to Linn, I have to raise some objections to his tasting notes, especially concerning his assessments of the nose and finish. But thatīs another story...

Best wishes,
    H.B.

**DONOTDELETE**

Good Hedmans I'm glad you have a different take on Old Rip. That's exactly what I think the tasting sections of this forum are for. So that others will comment on the subject bourbon. Of course everyone will experiance a bourbon differently from someone else. Go ahead and post your results on the Old Rip thread. I hope others will do the same. By comparing notes in this fashion we all grow.

Linn Spencer

**DONOTDELETE**

Tim & JR,

Niether one of you has any Blanton's in the house?! Egads! Do buy some just as soon as you can. I've found that Blanton's has about the best barrel to barrel consistancy of any single barrel offering. I keep three full bottles on hand at all times. I always buy more whenever it's on sale. I will usually open a bottle and empty it the same day. I have no self control at all when it comes to Blanton's,because it's just that damn good! Rock On!

Linn Spencer

**DONOTDELETE**

I believe ya Mike! I like Old Rip 15 y.o. just fine and think that everyone should have a bottle. Does that even come close to the Xtra Old Fitz? Should you ever come by another bottle (and I betting you will) save me a taste would ya?

Linn Spencer

Taster

It's because I like Blanton's that I'm really eager to try Elmer T. Lee SB. I'm hoping that it will be almost, if not equally as good and a bit more affordable. Isn't it pretty much the same whiskey (mashbill, age, water, yeast) , just from a different part of the barrelhouse?

Enthusiast

Best Bourbon Ever:

Tim Dellinger's home vatted "Old No. 12"

mix according to the following approximate recipe:

47% Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18 YO (barreled 9-13-82, Barrel No. 449)
    47% Old Rip Van Winkle 15 YO ( #L273)
    6% Wild Turkey Rare Breed (batch WT-01-99)

The woody backdrop of ECSB18, the charm of Old Rip 15, and light overtones
    of rye from WT. The best bourbon I've ever had.

(I finished off my Old Rip 13 YO Rye before I starting "home vatting", but I
    suspect that the chocolate notes in the 13YO rye would make it a great
    ingredient to toy with.)

Tim