Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What is your favorite bourbon?

Hello Linn, Your asing me to name only one.. That's not fair it's just darn right mean. As you know I have in stock and have tried most all the good and some not so good Bourbons. But if you told me tonight would be my last night on this earth and I could only take one bottle to help me thru the night I would have to take a bottle of 20yr Vanwinkle Pappy Family Reserve.. I know they make a old (Rye) and a new (wheat) I would take 1/2 bottle of each. and That still only equals one bottle..The thought of not have any more of these is enough to kill me all by itself. 16 & 20Yr Hirsch, 90 & 91 Evan Williams Single barrel, 12 & 13yr Vanwinkle Ryes, 15 yr and 23yr Vanwinkles, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Rare Breed, Russells Reserve, Knob creek, Jeffersons Reserve, Bookers, Bakers, Eagle Rare 17yr, Sazerac Rye, 19yr Weller, 10yr Weller Centenial, Old Charter Proprietors Reserve, Blantons, Very Special 12yr Old Fitzgerald, 14yr & 16yr Black maple Hills, Rock Hill Farms, 12YR Wild Turkey, Elijah craig 12yr Single barrel Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel, Woodfords Reserve, Pure Kentucky XO Small Batch. Buffalo Trace, Just a side note. I just acquired the 1991 Evan Williams Single barrel today. I have to work from 5/10 tonight so will not be able to try it until I get home so it's possible that I may like this one the best. But for now it's Julian's 20yr Vanwinkle Family Reserve. Linn I will let you know how I like the 91 Evan Williams as you told me you like the 91 better than the 90. For the Money $20 +- a little I feel that 90 Evan Williams is the best bang for the buck on the market today. So if the 91 is indeed equal or better I will be getting more soon. Sorry for being so long winded on your simple question. Creggor..

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Very Very Old Fitzgerald, made Fall 1963, bottled Fall 1976, consumed Fall 1996.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

**DONOTDELETE**

Chuck,
    A very good choice. I have had some of the 63 distillation at 8 YO and it too was very good.
    Mike Veach

Advanced Taster

Very Very Old Fitzgerald 100* 12yr made in 68 and bottled in 80 and did have 9 bottles but alas, now i have only 4 left. it is very very good and life is good--den

**DONOTDELETE**

Best one there is:
    Jefferson reserve Bottle 1447 of 2400. Batch #5.
    There is no comparison

Guru

It is entirely a matter of price. The regular price at the AL ABC is $45 and I have never seen it on sale.

For that money, I can get regularly priced bottles of Rare Breed and Elijah Craig 12 YO. It is such a stretch for me to consider $45 for a bottle of whiskey, no matter how good it is. Like I said, though, I'm going to try to get myself to buy a bottle for Christmas.

Of course, I also want to try Kentucky Spirit. It is only $46 per bottle!

Tim

**DONOTDELETE**

I hear ya Tim. Do what I do. Tell yourself that your worth it and buy both! You'll be glad that you did.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Taster

This is a tough question in that there are many fine products out there. If I would name one it would be Old Charter Proprietors Reserve. This was probably the first super-premium bourbon I tried and have been a fan ever since.

I also enjoy Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Blantons, and Jefferson Reserve when I feel like a bourbon a cut above the normal.

On my Christmas list this year are to try the Van Winkle products. I have never tried them except for a sip at the gazebo at this years Bourbon Festival and I was diffentially intrigued.

Todd

**DONOTDELETE**

Now that is a most interesting choice, Todd. I like Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve quite a bit myself. The 12 year old 'Classic 90' is also very good and half the price of OCP'sR. I would never have thought that any of 'The Bourbon Heritage Collection' bottlings would have been chosen. Good for you! This just goes to show what a truely diverse band of brothers we Bourbonians really are, and that there is no one right answer.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Taster

Linn,

With the breakup of the 'The Bourbon Heritage Collection', I am not sure if our local liquor stores will continue to carry the Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. So I have been drinking it pretty sparingly. I know I purchased the last couple of bottles at my local store about a month and half ago and they filled the spot with a different bourbon. I will look for the 'Classic 90' and give it a try.

I have found that our area does not seem to have the selection of some other areas of the country. I have watched for a couple of bourbons suggested by other users and some I can find and some I can not. I know I picked up a bottle of Elmer T. Lee in Bardstown, but can not find it up here. I haven't had any luck finding the Van Winkle products up here either.

Todd