Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Interesting Costco find: Macallan 19 Kirkland label

Saw a bottle of 19 yr. old Macallan under the "Kirkland" label (Costco's house label) today. The price was $69.99, which for Macallan is pretty cheap. In fact, it's so cheap it makes me wonder if Macallan dumped some bad barrels. Ultimately, I didn't buy it, but I may change my mind.

Has anyone tried this?

Guru

Re: Interesting Costco find: Macallan 19 Kirkland label

Costco has done the same with Vodka, selling a Kirlland brand that is similar to the large 1.75L Belvidere or Grey Goose. I am not certain which, but it was 2/3 the price. There was also a Port with the Kirkland label.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by EricABQ View Post
    Saw a bottle of 19 yr. old Macallan under the "Kirkland" label (Costco's house label) today. The price was $69.99, which for Macallan is pretty cheap. In fact, it's so cheap it makes me wonder if Macallan dumped some bad barrels. Ultimately, I didn't buy it, but I may change my mind.

Has anyone tried this?
    I saw it too the other day. $69.99 is an excellent price, as here in Canada I believe it was around $89 at Costco.

Good ol Kirkland, I think they now officially have their foot in everything on earth....

Taster

Well I went and picked up a bottle of this stuff. It says "...truly a rare find" on the label. Well numbers may be limited, but its definitely not a rare taste!
    Awful stuff, sour and bland with very little trademark Macallan complexity.

Anyone else with a an opinion??

Taster

An update on this one.

Found it there 780 cases released of this stuff. Assuming 6 bottles per case, were looking at 4680 bottles....

Seems to be collectable, as I've seen it selling on the internet for as much as $129.99 per bottle.

I've tried it a few more times and have come to enjoy it a little more - but still not typical Macallan. The quality casking appears to save it from disaster, as it does have some sutleness to the finish.

Taster

Good sherry casks have been progressivly harder to find. I am not suprised that Macallan seems to have dumped some of their sketchier (sp?) casks..I find the 12 year old these days, as I just commneted elsewhere, very poor. Far too grapey, the sherry is cheap tasting and does not have the spicyness of a good sherry cask, and the distillery quality does not come through...

The problem with this 19 yo botteling, however, is why I really need to good reccomendation about an independent botteling, and why I send to shop a lot at Binnys. Brett, the scotch guy there, is very honest about the quality of his products, and knows them well.