Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Thanks a lot... (new to the forum, and to BTABC)

Because of you people, I've put about a grand on my credit card this holiday season. And all I wanted to do was buy my dad a Sazerac 18 yr. for Christmas.

But I myself am a whiskey fan and love rye, so I was naturally interested in finding the Saz 18 not only for Dad, but also for me. I had no idea about this whole Antique Bourbon Collection though. I guess I've just always stuck with Beam's Small Batch Collection, and rarely stepped out of my comfort zone.

Well, now I'm about two cases each into the BTABC, and for two reasons; the glowing comments here, and the case discounts at Goody Goody Liquors in the Dallas TX area. I always knew there were other fine whiskies out there, I just never had a source of information to research them. Alas, searching for information on the Saz 18, I stumbled upon this site and quickly went rabid for the collection. Ah well, who needs money when you got whiskey?

And just in case you're in or near the area, the best bargains have been the Eagle Rare and the George T. Stagg, which are about $33 a bottle (at Goody Goody) with the case discount. The rest are between $40 and $45. Most offerings are still around, but I've only seen one case of Saz 18 so far, and it's now mine.

Two highlights of my recent frenzy; snagged a bottle of Saz 18 from fall '05 at King's Liquors in Ft. Worth, and the case of WL Weller I bought was from '05 as well.

So I've tried the Saz 18, the Thomas Handy Saz, and the George T Stagg, and they've all been great. I'm a wuss and have to really water the Handy and Stagg down, but the Saz 18 is fantastic without any doctoring.

Well, thanks again for all the info and I look forward to hanging out here and learning of more gems.
    Ben

Grain on the Brain

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Thanks a lot... (new to the forum, and to BTABC)

Glad you found this site and Goody Goody. I posted about 10 days ago the great price that Goody Goody had on Stagg by the case. I thought I cleaned out the Greenville Ave store, but I guess not. Enjoy the ride.

Randy

Advanced Taster

You may have. There are actually two on Greenville. One had 1 bottle of Weller yesterday, and the other had that case of 05 Weller. They also had two cases of the Handy, one of which I snagged. I don't recall seeing any Stagg at either Greenville store. I got my case at the Addison location.

Interesting thing though; when I first went to the Addison location a week or so ago, they only had Stagg, Weller and Eagle Rare, and said in no uncertain terms they wouldn't be able to get any more Saz. I had also got it from several other liquor chains how the Saz was allocated and all of Dallas only got 15 bottles, and all this type of depressing stuff, so I just resigned myself to giving Dad a bottle of the Saz 6 yr., which the Addison GG also had. I had bought it on my first trip there, tried it, and went back to get another bottle (can't give Dad an open, half drunk bottle, ya know?). Well, lo and freaking behold, there unopened under the bourbon shelf at GG were two boxes that were not there before - the Saz 18 yr and the Handy Saz. What with all the gloom and doom the various liquor chain managers had been handing me all week, my jaw hit the floor. I snagged 'em like they were lost children, and eyed people suspiciously and aggressively as they came near. I think I regained my composure about halfway through the ride home.

So the moral of the story is to never give up... you never know when some unexpected stock is going to hit.

Anyhow, I'm a Dallas native and know the stores around here pretty good, so if you ever want me to scope out stock here before you make a trip, let me know. Goody Goody has traditionally had the best prices across the board, but a friend has recently told me about Beverage Depot near Fair Park that actually has lower prices (but less selection) than GG. I need to check them out soon.

By the way, thanks for the welcome!
    Ben

Grain on the Brain

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I lived in Big D from 1982 thru 1990 and still have contacts with Sigel's and GG's spirit buyers. Houston retailers generally beat their prices, but not this yr's Stagg. Heck, some Dallas retailers still have Weller19 on the shelves....a discontinued Antique collection.

Advanced Taster

Ooooh... that Weller 19 sounds intriguing! Care to say where I might find it? I'd appreciate it.
    Ben

Grain on the Brain

Connoisseur

The only place I have seen Weller 19 is on whiskeyexchage.com, but if you find some anywhere else BUY it....and send me a bottle.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Brain View Post
    Because of you people, I've put about a grand on my credit card this holiday season. And all I wanted to do was buy my dad a Sazerac 18 yr. for Christmas.

But I myself am a whiskey fan and love rye, so I was naturally interested in finding the Saz 18 not only for Dad, but also for me. I had no idea about this whole Antique Bourbon Collection though. I guess I've just always stuck with Beam's Small Batch Collection, and rarely stepped out of my comfort zone.

Well, now I'm about two cases each into the BTABC, and for two reasons; the glowing comments here, and the case discounts at Goody Goody Liquors in the Dallas TX area. I always knew there were other fine whiskies out there, I just never had a source of information to research them. Alas, searching for information on the Saz 18, I stumbled upon this site and quickly went rabid for the collection. Ah well, who needs money when you got whiskey?

And just in case you're in or near the area, the best bargains have been the Eagle Rare and the George T. Stagg, which are about $33 a bottle (at Goody Goody) with the case discount. The rest are between $40 and $45. Most offerings are still around, but I've only seen one case of Saz 18 so far, and it's now mine.

Two highlights of my recent frenzy; snagged a bottle of Saz 18 from fall '05 at King's Liquors in Ft. Worth, and the case of WL Weller I bought was from '05 as well.

So I've tried the Saz 18, the Thomas Handy Saz, and the George T Stagg, and they've all been great. I'm a wuss and have to really water the Handy and Stagg down, but the Saz 18 is fantastic without any doctoring.

Well, thanks again for all the info and I look forward to hanging out here and learning of more gems.
    You're not alone. I stuck with WT for years until finally breaking out and trying other selections. What pushed me over the edge was attending the KBF. I sampled many tasty bourbons and was hooked. I now own 14 different bottles of bourbon...I'm sure this is a simple collection compared to other's here in SB.com but the additions of BTAC, Hirsch 16, Lot B, Old Pogue and Vintage Bourbon, etc. to my collection, I'm now happy to enjoying these fine bourbons right next to my WT collection.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I pretty much assumed that Randy had hoovered up every decent bottle of bourbon in the state, so finding that Saz was a big accomplishment.

By the way, the Saz junior is nothing to sneeze at and makes a great gift with its cool, retro bottle.

Disciple

Oh, Randy has left plenty behind. Plenty. It's a pretty big state...

(Headed back again tomorrow.)
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I pretty much assumed that Randy had hoovered up every decent bottle of bourbon in the state, so finding that Saz was a big accomplishment.

By the way, the Saz junior is nothing to sneeze at and makes a great gift with its cool, retro bottle.
    Oh hell yeah, that's my lil' stocking stuffer for Dad, the Saz Jr. The retro bottle rules, and its a fine whiskey indeed. I finally tried it with ginger ale, and I'm tempted to say it tastes as good, if not better, than WT101 and ginger ale. I've already gone through a bottle of the Jr., sharing it with friends and coworkers, so yeah, I'm right there with ya. My boss dug it enough to go in on a case with me.

As for Texas, Sijan is right, Texas is pretty big, and it's hard to cover all the nooks and cranies... thank goodness (re. the Saz 18 finding).

By the way, just finished off a Thomas Handy pour. Did about two thirds Handy, one third spring water on the rocks, and it was great. I think I've found, for me, the perfect balance on this one.
    Ben

Grain on the Brain