Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Taster

Re: The Balvenie 15-yr single barrel

Balvenie represents a good alternative to the been there done that of Glenmorangie and Glenlivet etal. Its good to give the smaller guys a try so to speak. Not that I do not drink 'morangie or the 'thelivet tho. As another poster indicated this drams popularity is going up and its harder to find the best expressions at a decent price. Still good when you can give it a chance. I prefer neat, especially with whisky at less that 100 proof as its watered down enough

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenjayhawk View Post
    Balvenie represents a good alternative to the been there done that of Glenmorangie and Glenlivet etal. Its good to give the smaller guys a try so to speak. Not that I do not drink 'morangie or the 'thelivet tho. As another poster indicated this drams popularity is going up and its harder to find the best expressions at a decent price. Still good when you can give it a chance. I prefer neat, especially with whisky at less that 100 proof as its watered down enough
    Smaller guys? I believe that Balvenie is owned by William Grant & Sons, who are also responsible for Glenfiddich.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Megawatt View Post
    Smaller guys? I believe that Balvenie is owned by William Grant & Sons, who are also responsible for Glenfiddich.
    Yep...you are correct.
    Bob O.

Virtuoso

I just had the 15 SB last night for my first taste and it was as good as everyone here states. I tried it after the 12 yr dble wood which was also fantastic. Tonight I'm going to take a taste of the 21 yr Portwood (as you can see I bought a set of 3 x 50ml taster set ). I will probably get a bottle of each after this as I was mightily impressed!
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Connoisseur

Let us know what you think of the portwood...

Connoisseur

I love the portwood although i think I like just about every expression of balvenie ive tried except for thr New Wood, I didnt care for that one.

I used to get the portwood for $73, now its like $120. I guess I shouldve stocked up back then!

Virtuoso

Had the Portwood tonight. A great whisk(e)y for sure. it was very smooth with a lingering burn in the finish. I didn't note a very strong influence from the port as I do from sherry casks, however this did not at all detract from the enjoyment.

After having sampled these three Balvenie's (12, 15, 21) I must say I love them all. I would give a slight edge to the 15 SB but I'd really need to spend more time with each to make a final decision. The 21 yr is really high priced at 120 so that is a bit of a drawback you might say. The 12 dble wood was fantastic for the price ($40). The 15 is right in the sweet spot at $60 and 95 proof.
    Whisk(e)y - a bargain at any price !!!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I'm not really up on all this, but it seemed to me, from what I was reading, that Speyside is just a more specific area of the Highlands. I.e., all Speyside is Highland, but not all Highland is Speyside. I certainly may be wrong, though.

Tim

You are correct, Tim. Speyside is a region of the Scottish Highlands whose water sources are tributaries of the Spey river system.

While the River Spey is excellent for Salmon fishing, what makes this such an excellent water source for distilling is the fact that the bedrock is granite, which is very dense and non-porous, resulting in very clean, soft water.

Speyside contains more than half of Scotland's working distilleries, who like to claim that their spirits are typically smoother than spirits from the other parts of the Scottish Highlands-- a claim that is contested hotly amongst scotch whisky aficionados.

Balvenie, along with Kininvie (whose spirit is only very rarely bottled as a single malt), is a sister distillery to Glenfiddich, the original single malt, owned by William Grant and Sons.

Speyside also contains many other big name distilleries-- Cardhu, Cragganmore, MacAllan, Glenlivet, and Aberlour are among them.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Enthusiast

Does anybody know if this 15-year Single Cask is American oak, or Spanish oak? Balvenie often uses both.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by boss302 View Post
    Does anybody know if this 15-year Single Cask is American oak, or Spanish oak? Balvenie often uses both.
    American oak, I believe.

I can't believe you can get that bottle for $60 in the US. It is $105 in Ontario...