Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Red face The Balvenie 15-yr single barrel

I went to my friendly ABC store this afternoon, having been intrigued by the Southern Comfort thread. They had it in 70 and 100 proof, but I didn't see anything on the label about the original whatever-it-was recipe, so I figured it was old stock and passed.

However, a display of The Balvenie caught my eye and I am now the proud owner of a $70 bottle of single-malt scotch whisky, 15-years old and single barrel. Something a little different for Christmas, I suppose.

I had a shot of it on the rocks as soon as I got home. It is as delicious as I had remembered from one drink in a bar in Atlanta, a few years back. Smooth as glass with honey-toned flavors.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Post Re: The Balvenie 15-yr single barrel

Hmmm. There is an insert in the packaging that states that the whisky is not chill filtered, so not to be concern if it clouds up if it gets cold or when adding ice. No wonder it has such brilliant flavors.

Tim

Connoisseur

Re: The Balvenie 15-yr single barrel

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm an Islay (or other island malts like Skye and Orkney) man when it comes to Scotch. Each time I try a new Speysider or Lowlander I seem a bit disappointed.

That being said I think I'm going to have to get a bottle of this stuff!
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Guru

If anyone is wondering after DrinkyBanjo's post, The Balvenie is a Speyside / Highland malt.

They also claim to be the only vertically integrated Scotch whisky producer extant. They grow the barley, malt the barley, distill the whisky, make and maintain their own barrels (yes, from wood that has previously been used for bourbon, sherry, etc), and age and bottle it. IMHO, that is pretty impressive in this day and age. It is the craft oriented production methods that so strongly attracted me to bourbon, with great pride in creating a traditional product.

Tim

Connoisseur

I think that Bruichladdich is now doing the same. I think they handle all aspects of their whiskey from growing the barley to bottling the final product.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Virtuoso

I've only had one bottle of Balvenie 15SB, but it was a very fine pour! The honey description is spot-on.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    If anyone is wondering after DrinkyBanjo's post, The Balvenie is a Speyside / Highland malt.

They also claim to be the only vertically integrated Scotch whisky producer extant. They grow the barley, malt the barley, distill the whisky, make and maintain their own barrels (yes, from wood that has previously been used for bourbon, sherry, etc), and age and bottle it. IMHO, that is pretty impressive in this day and age. It is the craft oriented production methods that so strongly attracted me to bourbon, with great pride in creating a traditional product.

Tim
    I tried the Balvenie at a Morton's Steakhouse in VA before Christmas and plan on picking up a bottle. I have a bottle of JW Blue lable, Dalmore 21 and Dalwhinnie 15. I love the Dalwhinnie and have found that I really prefer the Highland Scotch over the Islay and Lowland. I haven't yet sampled the Speyside or Campbeltown Single Malts.

Guru

Ok, I'm a dope. the Balvenie is a Speyside.

Guru

I'm not really up on all this, but it seemed to me, from what I was reading, that Speyside is just a more specific area of the Highlands. I.e., all Speyside is Highland, but not all Highland is Speyside. I certainly may be wrong, though.

Tim

Apprentice

You are CORRECT, sir!!!!