Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Connoisseur

Introduction and Old Charter 12 Question

I'm new to the forum, not new to bourbon, but currently branching out. The first bourbon I ever tried outside of some weak mixed drinks was Knob Creek, neat. For a while, it was nearly all I drank. Eventually, I added JB Black as a daily pour, then started drinking Booker's occasionally, and have since found a place in the rotation for WT101 (a great nightcap or cigar accompaniment), Buffalo Trace (nice, but a bit less body than I usually like), Old Ezra 101 (don't know why, but the raisiny character of this appeals to me with a good dessert), Eagle Rare (sweet, but good), Old GrandDad BIB (in-your-face, and I like it), and WT Rye, which is just about my favorite whiskey, period. As a rule, I tend to like high-rye mashes.

However, I recently came across some Old Charter 12 for $13.50 a bottle locally. I bought a bottle because I enjoyed the pint of 10-year I had, but it was a bit sweeter than I ideally like, and I had heard that the 12-year was drier. It is, and I do enjoy it. It's not as oaky as some 12-year whiskeys I have had, but it has a nice woody, vanilla nose and remarkable complexity of flavor. I looked at the bottom of the bottle, which is stamped 07/11/01. I know the $13.50 is a good price for this bourbon, and I plan to buy some more bottles. I'm just wondering if bottles from 2001 would be considered superior to current bottlings so I know how much of the stuff to come home with. Any feedback or add'l info is appreciated.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Introduction and Old Charter 12 Question

Bottles from 2001 should not be significantly different from current bottlings.

Connoisseur

Re: Introduction and Old Charter 12 Question

Thanks. I bought only one add'l bottle for now, due to some unforeseen expenditures on other bourbons earlier in the day. The good price will still be there in a few weeks...