Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Enthusiast

Re: Your Favorite Bottle before you had a pour.

I like the clean look of the GTS and ER10 bottles, but they're difficult to store due to their height. Also like the old fashioned labels of the PVW line.

-Kevin

Advanced Taster

Like others here I really enjoy the Sazerac Jr. bottle. I haven't even pulled the cork on mine, but I'll take the bottle off the shelf and examine it every once in a while. The Sazerac Jr. bottle is obviously functional, as it doesn't leak and enables the owner to pour its contents without too much difficulty, but it also has a great sense of "design for design's sake" -- particularly the graceful neck that contains almost no whiskey and the beveled edges at the bottom.

The Old Forester Birthday Bourbon bottle is another story. It could only irritate me more if it were a sphere.

Taster

scopenut,

I understand where you are coming from regarding the height of the GT bottles. Luckily, mine fits in my cabinet by like an 1/8 of an inch. I was worried when I was eyeballing how it was going to fit the initial time.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanfan View Post
    scopenut,

I understand where you are coming from regarding the height of the GT bottles. Luckily, mine fits in my cabinet by like an 1/8 of an inch. I was worried when I was eyeballing how it was going to fit the initial time.
    Fortunately, I didn't build my bar shelves until after I owned a bottle of GTS (and Saz)....
    I guaged the shelf height from these bottles

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post

The Old Forester Birthday Bourbon bottle is another story. It could only irritate me more if it were a sphere.
    Worst . . bottle . . ever!

A bottle for me has got to be comfortable to hold - heck, when the proper glassware just ain't around I've been known to nip the sauce straignt from the bottle - and the BB is just a silly, unbalanced pain in the butt.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post

A bottle for me has got to be comfortable to hold - heck, when the proper glassware just ain't around I've been known to nip the sauce straignt from the bottle - and the BB is just a silly, unbalanced pain in the butt.

While this may be true, it does do a couple of things: it adds memorability to it. You won't forget how much of pain to pour correct? Well, by that right, you won't forget the bourbon either. Marketing folks, marketing.

Enthusiast

Marketing, indeed. Of course, I've a sucker for good Old Forester so I can't say for a moment that I didn't enjoy the contents of that nutty bottle!

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post

Probably the most comfortable bottles to hold in my bunker are some older bottles of Old Forester, with some dimples on the side, natural hand holds, just feel good in the hands, especially the 4/5 quart...it even has a slightly bigger flare at the base of the neck, that makes it more comfortable to hold there too.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Fortunately, I didn't build my bar shelves until after I owned a bottle of GTS (and Saz)....
    I guaged the shelf height from these bottles
    note to self.......when building bar, measure antique collection.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Advanced Taster

Talking Re: Your Favorite Bottle before you had a pour.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanfan View Post
    I think I've stated this before or may have even started a thread on this, but my all time fav is the Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year squat bottle. Not so much for the bottle itself, but for the label. Best label I've ever seen hands down!
    I second that choice. The 10 yr 107 (same label) was the first high end bottle of bourbon I ever purchased, had to buy it as soon as I saw the label. Of course, what was in the bottle totally lived up to my expectations! Luckily, I stowed away several bottles of the 10 & 15 squat before they disappeared, so, whenever I want to see my favorite label while savoring one of my all time favorite bourbons, I can! Tom V