Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Which one would you buy???

Opened my bottle of George T Stagg the other night and WOW! What a great bottle! Which of the bottles listed below do you consider to be better than George T Stagg or at least worthy of buying over GTS considering they are almost at the same price point:

Blanton's
    Booker's
    Eagle Rare 17
    Pappy Van Winkle 15
    Rock Hill Farms
    Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
    William Larue Weller

Guru

Re: Which one would you buy???

I am probably alone in this community in not regarding GTS as the epitome of bourbon. I like it; I have some on hand; I expect to buy more someday. I'm just not enthralled by it. Perhaps if I were able to drink it neat, I would get what the fuss is about. In actuality I cut it to 100-110 proof.

If the Bourbon Genie were to grant me an unlimited, lifetime supply of one bourbon, it would be Rock Hill Farms. If Buffalo Trace bottlings were off-limits, then I would be just as content with Wild Turkey Rare Breed. (Even a genie could not be depended upon for a steady supply of WT 12 y/o.)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    Opened my bottle of George T Stagg the other night and WOW! What a great bottle! Which of the bottles listed below do you consider to be better than George T Stagg or at least worthy of buying over GTS considering they are almost at the same price point:

Blanton's
    Booker's
    Eagle Rare 17
    Pappy Van Winkle 15
    Rock Hill Farms
    William Larue Weller
    I haven't had the last two, but I am sure they are worth having in your rotation, all of them are. And that is why I would advise you to pick up any one or two of them to try. Speaking for myself, I like variety. One night Brand X might be the best bourbon in the world and I won't be able to imagine anything better. A few nights later, I'll have a pour and it will be good, even great, but not quite what I want.

Another reason to try some of these others is that the GTS can be hard to find. You might not be able to keep it on hand at all times if you don't have some other bourbons around to give your GTS a night off.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Guru

I am still in the midst of a GTS evaluation so I will have to abstain from that part of the discussion. I do however agree it takes a bit getting used to the proof.

I also agree with The Rock Hill recomendation with just this suggestion. GTS being Barrell Proof I think it is best compared to other of it's brethren such as Bookers and the higher proof bottlings. They are unique unto themselves and at least in my mind only should be comapred to each other.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Enthusiast

I've never had Stagg, but the extreme proof makes me want any number of other "primo" bourbons before I'd spring for Stagg. I'd love to try one of the several extreme-age ryes out there, just fer the heck of it.

Guru

Post Re: Which one would you buy???

I would buy the Rock Hill Farms. But, any of those would be great choices.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post

Blanton's
    Booker's
    Eagle Rare 17
    Pappy Van Winkle 15
    Rock Hill Farms
    William Larue Weller
    Of all the ones listed, the only ones I have not tried is the PVW15 and RHF. I'm hoping to remedy that very soon. I was really surprised that I liked the ER17 as much as I do....so, my vote, for now, is ER17.

Taster

I'd have to say Bookers.. just cause you can cut it like you want it...

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
    I am probably alone in this community in not regarding GTS as the epitome of bourbon. I like it; I have some on hand; I expect to buy more someday. I'm just not enthralled by it. Perhaps if I were able to drink it neat, I would get what the fuss is about. In actuality I cut it to 100-110 proof.
    I am more with you on this one Dave than you might imagine. I love it, I really do, but I just have learned that I cannot drink much (if any of it) without some ill effects the next day. So I usually save it for special occasions when I know I can sleep in or lay around pretty much the majority of the day following.

As for what I'd buy, the only RHF I tasted was a slightly corked bottle so I can't say that. I'd probably go Pappy15 just because you have to experience it and preferrably before the SW stock has ran out because I just don't think it'll be the same. I am sure it will still be good, we know this from Julian's proven track record but the SW Pappy15 if marvelous stuff. The proof is just right IMHO.

I wouldn't even think about ER17 honestly, its flavor is so complex and mellow and smooth you'd be greatly disappointed in comparison to GTS I think. It is great, don't get me wrong, but definitely not a jump out and grab every taste bud in your mouth bourbon like GTS is.

WTKS is great.

And the current WLW is phenomenol maybe that one over Pappy15 but I don't know, flip a coin!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Virtuoso

Cool Re: Which one would you buy???

I've bought several Staggs but so far, only got around to opening one of them. Let me tell you, it can be a bear if you don't respect it correctly. I have not tried all on the list. Of the ones that I have, only Booker's would I 'consider' buying with it being a weak consideration at best. IMO, nothing on the list comes close to Stagg in terms of the bang for the buck......except maybe the 06 WLW but I have not had a chance to try it yet.

Now, changing the proposition slightly, if I wanted a bottle from which I could have a 2d or 3d pour in the same evening, then it is much easier for me: Blanton's or WT Ky Spirit.