Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Which one would you buy???

Well, here's one man's take (who's tried them all) (NOTE: highly personalized opinions follow. They need not match yours.):
    • GTS -- Very rich, versatile bourbon; dilute it/mix it, and you reduce the cost quite a bit -- think three bottles for the price of two. If you're going to enjoy it neat, do it a la BT's Ken Weber: pour it deep and enjoy it over an hour or more, noting the changes;
    • Blanton's -- Okay bourbon, but pretty expensive okay bourbon. Doesn't really satisfy my tastes;
    • Booker's -- Like Stagg, I find I enjoy it most diluted a bit; unlike Stagg, I don't find much reason to enjoy it full-strength;
    • Eagle Rare 17 -- can be outstanding (the rare 2004), or quite good (the current 2006); also can be an acquired taste (the 2005, which really needs aeration to tamp down the wood);
    • Pappy Van Winkle 15 -- my only criticism here is that I wish it could still be the old ORVW 15/107; only going to be Stitzel-Weller for another couple of years;
    • Rock Hill Farms -- I find the first taste of a pour exceptional, then succeeding tastes disappointing;
    • Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit -- almost always stellar; some of the early issues (pewter topped, different label) among the best bourbons I've had;
    • William Larue Weller -- the 2005 was among my greatest bourbon disappointments; the 2006, which I almost didn't buy because of my previous disappointment, is one of the pleasantest surprises.
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I am more with you on this one Dave than you might imagine. I love it, I really do, but I just have learned that I cannot drink much (if any of it) without some ill effects the next day. So I usually save it for special occasions when I know I can sleep in or lay around pretty much the majority of the day following.

As for what I'd buy, the only RHF I tasted was a slightly corked bottle so I can't say that. I'd probably go Pappy15 just because you have to experience it and preferrably before the SW stock has ran out because I just don't think it'll be the same. I am sure it will still be good, we know this from Julian's proven track record but the SW Pappy15 if marvelous stuff. The proof is just right IMHO.

I wouldn't even think about ER17 honestly, its flavor is so complex and mellow and smooth you'd be greatly disappointed in comparison to GTS I think. It is great, don't get me wrong, but definitely not a jump out and grab every taste bud in your mouth bourbon like GTS is.

WTKS is great.

And the current WLW is phenomenol maybe that one over Pappy15 but I don't know, flip a coin!
    That's the thing I like about the range of bourbons like GTS and ER17. I love them both and tend to select a different pour on different nights. The other night I enjoyed WLW and then the next, some ER17. I don't cut the cask strength bourbons as I like the intensity.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Well, here's one man's take (who's tried them all) (NOTE: highly personalized opinions follow. They need not match yours.):
    • GTS -- Very rich, versatile bourbon; dilute it/mix it, and you reduce the cost quite a bit -- think three bottles for the price of two. If you're going to enjoy it neat, do it a la BT's Ken Weber: pour it deep and enjoy it over an hour or more, noting the changes;
    • Blanton's -- Okay bourbon, but pretty expensive okay bourbon. Doesn't really satisfy my tastes;
    • Booker's -- Like Stagg, I find I enjoy it most diluted a bit; unlike Stagg, I don't find much reason to enjoy it full-strength;
    • Eagle Rare 17 -- can be outstanding (the rare 2004), or quite good (the current 2006); also can be an acquired taste (the 2005, which really needs aeration to tamp down the wood);
    • Pappy Van Winkle 15 -- my only criticism here is that I wish it could still be the old ORVW 15/107; only going to be Stitzel-Weller for another couple of years;
    • Rock Hill Farms -- I find the first taste of a pour exceptional, then succeeding tastes disappointing;
    • Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit -- almost always stellar; some of the early issues (pewter topped, different label) among the best bourbons I've had;
    • William Larue Weller -- the 2005 was among my greatest bourbon disappointments; the 2006, which I almost didn't buy because of my previous disappointment, is one of the pleasantest surprises.
    Tim,

I assume by your notes above that the PVW15 is still a SW product? As a novice I'm still trying to learn the various distillers and the product lines over the various years. I assume that the ORVW15 is a SW product and that the current PWV15 is the same product for the time being?

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Tim,

I assume by your notes above that the PVW15 is still a SW product? As a novice I'm still trying to learn the various distillers and the product lines over the various years. I assume that the ORVW15 is a SW product and that the current PWV15 is the same product for the time being?
    That's exactly right. And, since S-W closed in June 1992, there's still, presumably, another half-year's distillate that can yet attain 15 years in the barrel. After that, any Pappy 15 bottled will either be older than 15, or not Stitzel-Weller. I wouldn't expect existing shelf stock, at that point, to last long.
    Tim

Guru

My two cents are on RHF.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."