Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    **DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jack Daniel\'s Single Barrel

JR,

Until I got my fancy pants imported nosing glass I used a small glass mixing bowl. One that would fit around both my nose and mouth. I could breath in through both nose and mouth at the same time. A pretty good technique. It just takes a lot of bourbon to do it. Then I would just taste the bourbon right out of the bowl. It worked. Your 'fish bowl/ wine glass' sounds very simular. Use whatever works for you, and don't second guess yourself.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Use whatever glassware gives you the best concentration of aromas. There is no need to duplicate the drinking experience. The glassware doesn't change the taste or aroma, it just makes them easier to detect. Serious tasting is difficult. Give yourself every possible advantage.

One caution, though. Be careful when you nose anything above 100 proof. The alcohol can be so powerful it reduces sensitivity. You probably won't do any permanent damage, but you could spoil that tasting session.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

The Boss

When I was a boy, I'd hang out in my father's lab at UCD during the summers. He'd teach me cool stuff like how to handle and sniff unknown substances. If you want to get a whiff of the contents of a gallon jug, don't stick your nose in the opening (Yikes! sulfuric acid!), hold the container away from your face and waft the vapors toward your nose using your hand. I realize this technique is a bit extreme for bourbon tasting, but to begin sniffing with your nose a good distance from the glassware's aperture, then moving in 'til it's comfortable works for me.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Every time I visit a distillery, including to Four Roses during the recent bourbon festival, I am reminded to use that method over the fermenters. Sticking your nose below the rim and taking a deep breath is a quick way to a nap.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guru

Last night I revisited my bottle of JDSB after ignoring it for several months. In the aftermath of my decision to dispose of the remainder of a bottle of JD black a few weeks back, I was surprised how much I still like this expression.

As Mr. Anonymous noted elsewhere in this thread, the contrast between JDSB and JD black is extreme. I also concur with his finding of dark fruit flavor; I will go so far as to suggest that it resembles prunes. I find it totally devoid of the oily, anise flavor that makes No. 7 so unappealing to me.

This bottle is nearly empty. I don't recall what I paid for it, but if I can get it for $26, as someone mentioned in this thread, I'll definitely buy it again whenever I see it. If it's above $40, as someone else said, then I'll be in no hurry.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Connoisseur

I recently revisited all the Tennessean's and found that the JDSB doesn't have that familiar banana smell like JD No. 7 and Gentleman. I had Rick No. R-22, Barrel No. 3-1137, dated -5-22-03. I find it definitely the most complex, pleasing of the three JD's. Gentleman goes down a little easier at a lower proof, but for a little sippin' the JDSB ain't bad at all. Like Mr. Anonymous, I found a lot of vanilla, sugar maple goodness.

Advanced Taster

After reading this thread I went and purchased a bottle last night. Well, for $40, I don't think it is worth it - is it worth 2 bottles of WT 101, or Buffalo Trace, or one bottle of Baker's? No way.

I will agree, tho, that is is MUCH BETTER than the regular JD. However, IMHO, this is what JD should be selling as their regular whiskey at $20/bottle.

We'll see after I've finished the bottle if my opinion changes at all. It would be interesting to see what it would be like above 100 Proof.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

As stated in the first post, there is a "Silver Select" single barrel bottled at 100 proof. I picked one up at a Duty Free on a trip to Mexico. The packaging is very attractive and well done. I haven't opened it yet as I have a neighbor who likes Gentlemen Jack and I'm waiting to taste it together. Price of this bottle was $40 at Duty Free in Houston.

Side Note - I left the Silver Select on the plane upon landing in Puerto Vallarta....the family was in a rush to get to our house. Anyway, we all speculated whether my bottle would make it to Continental's lost and found and still be there a week later. Nobody but me gave it a chance....I gave it a 10% chance (my name and seat number were on the duty free slip). We checked in and forgot to ask about it. Later, my wife went up and inquired.....and they had it. I guess they don't drink much JD in Mexico either.

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I finaly opened the JDSB Silver Select.....and I like it. It's unlike any JD I've had. Somewhat one dimensional.....sweet and alcoholic.....at 100 proof....but my imediate reaction is....similar to ET Lee. If you're traveling overseas....they sell this in duty free for $40. Pick one up!

Randy