Tim (TMH) came over Friday evening (12-1-6) and we sampled through some of the many whiskies he just brought back from Japan on his recent trip over there! Tim is a pretty generous guy…we opened 6 of these this evening.
All the whiskey is from the Nikka Family…They own the Yoichi and Miyagikyo/Sendai distilleries. (Correct me if I’m wrong Tim)
In the first picture, all the bottles shown/listed are from left to right …next two pictures are the close-ups.
1. Yoichi 15yo single malt, 90 proof, 750ml.
2. Nikka Super, vatted malt, 111 proof, 500ml.
3. Miyagikyo/Sendai, new make, 124 proof, 180ml.
4. Yoichi, single malt, 15yo, single cask, 124 proof, 500ml.
5. Yoichi, single malt, single cask, 128 proof, 500ml.
6. Yoichi, 5yo, single malt, single cask, 126 proof, 180ml. (cask # 40299)
7. Miyagikyo, single malt, 10yo, 124 proof, 180ml.
8. Yoichi, single malt, single cask, 10yo, 126 proof, 500ml.
9. Yoichi, single malt, single cask, 12yo, 108 proof, “Peaty and Salty” version, 500ml.
We opened in order of pours…3, 6, 2, 7, 8, and 9.
IIRC the 15 was opened and sampled in the past, I think we might have tasted this one again this night, but, time in the bottle didn’t seem to help it any. One of the early conclusions that seem to be developing is that; Japanese whiskies might be better consumed sooner. Time will tell.
I don’t want to bore you with tasting notes, but Tim has agreed to bring these bottles back in a few weeks to see how the bottle open up, then we will compare tasting notes again…sounds like homework…this time it is the fun kind.
Highlights…the new make was remarkable…I think Tim is planning to bring this bottle to the next West Coast Study Group for theme night. (Dec, 16th, 2006 6:30 PM…plug!)…Peaty/Salty was something new to the palate…the vatted was complex and pleasing; the single malts are stunners’ all!
Tim also brought some translated information regarding what they are doing with their wood program over there…It was VERY interesting to taste through these whiskies while reviewing the barrels used/noted for each expression/bottling. (Keep drinking that Bourbon so they can have plenty of barrels…Nikka is doing good things with the used cooperage)
Tim, did I leave anything out?
Thanks Tim, that was a GREAT “armchair” trip to Japan!...no jet lag!