Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Question I have an old bottle of old grand dad

The bottle of Old Grand Dad that i have has a cork in it and the lable says guaranteed by the humber distilling co. sole agents Barr Bars. Brooklyn New York the tax lable is half gone but the part that is on says 100 proof. If anybody can tell me the age or if they have seen a bottle like this.Also on the back of the bottle there is markings i think they are hebrew.

Connoisseur

Re: I have an old bottle of old grand dad

Quote Originally Posted by robbie56 View Post
    The bottle of Old Grand Dad that i have has a cork in it and the lable says guaranteed by the humber distilling co. sole agents Barr Bars. Brooklyn New York the tax lable is half gone but the part that is on says 100 proof. If anybody can tell me the age or if they have seen a bottle like this.Also on the back of the bottle there is markings i think they are hebrew.
    For starters, you could post a picture...

Connoisseur

WHHHOOOO DOG!! Now that is an oldie. All I can help you with is that it is earlier than the 70's.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've seen some similar bottles from when the brand was made in Canada during Prohibition, but I've never seen one exactly like that. Grand-Dad was also sometimes counterfeited, it could be one of those. Definitely either Prohibition-era from Canada or pre-prohibition.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie56 View Post
    Just talk to a teacher who says that the hebrew on the bottle says it is FOR PASSOVER he thinks it was made special for the jewes passover.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

That bottle seems to have been a local brand (Brooklyn, NY) and if there was a Kentucky Old Grand-dad in production at the time, maybe this was some kind of knock-off, as Chuck has speculated. Or maybe the Brooklyn one was felt legally different due to the slightly different spelling and (presumably) local market. The bottle seems mostly full and looks as if it has been sampled, has the owner tried it?

Gary

to Gillman : No the bottle has never been open. Ithink that some has evaporated over the years that is way it looks like someony tryed it.