Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: Only found in KY

I've seen the AAA 10yo in Austin TX at Twin Liquors...

I have a fondness for Mellow Corn BIB. I even have trouble finding this one IN Kentucky.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    As was said, Four Roses (3 of them that I know of) and perhaps the "Vintage" brand. I know I had to get a bud who lives in Kentucky to get those for me last year.

You can get the "Vintage" brand outside of Kentucky. I've seen it in Louisiana and California.
    Mmm, dat's good!
    Pappy's Friend

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy's Friend View Post
    You can get the "Vintage" brand outside of Kentucky. I've seen it in Louisiana and California.

I have the Vintage brands down at BevMo. Not KY only.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

About the only significant brand that is sold only in Kentucky is Four Roses. However, Very Old Barton is a major brand in Kentucky that is not widely available elsewhere. You can also find some oddities in Kentucky that, if sold elsewhere, are not widely distributed, like anything with the Heaven Hill brand name on it, other HH brands such as JW Dant and JTS Brown (old, historic names that HH has preserved), and Jim Beam's Old Bourbon Hollow.

The deal is this. Kentucky produces bourbon but also consumes a lot of it, always has, and Kentucky's bourbon consumers are more knowledgable than most, so it's both easy and desirable for the producers to keep brands on the market there that have been discontinued for lack of interest in most other places. Even in a small liquor store in Kentucky, you probably will see brand names you don't see in other places.

However, the thing about Four Roses is that it is a distillery, not just a name, and although they make the widely distributed Bulleit Bourbon, you have to go to Kentucky to get anything that bears the Four Roses name. Likewise Barton is a distillery, that makes Ridgemont Reserve 1792 and Ten High, which are widely distributed, but their Very Old Barton is a very good bourbon, very popular in Kentucky, that is not widely distributed outside of the Commonwealth. If you want to get something good, meaningful and rare outside of Kentucky, Four Roses and Very Old Barton are your best bets.
    Last edited by cowdery; 01-12-2007 at 15:21.