Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I.W. Harper

Connoisseur

I.W. Harper

Couldnīt find anything about the bourbon I.W. Harper on this site. A brand I have yet to taste (very hard to find where I live). Could someone please enlighten me? 12 or 15 years old? Or is it recommendable at all?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: I.W. Harper

I.W. Harper was, for many years, the flagship bourbon of Louisville's Bernheim Distillery. Issac Wolfe Bernheim, the owner, is responsible for the "I.W." part of the name. The "Harper" part was the name of a friend, possibly a salesman. At the time, Bernheim reasoned that "I.W. Bernheim" didn't sound like the name of a bourbon. Today the brand is owned by Diageo. It isn't a big factor, sales wise, in the U.S., but is very popular in Japan. For a time, the company actually limited U.S. availability to discourage "gray market" exporting to Asia. If you can't find Harper but can find Old Charter, they are essentially the same whiskey. I have always found it a quality product, but nothing special.

- chuck

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Thanks Chuck, I realize this is an old post but it relieved a concern that I had . I had walked past the I W Harper Gold medal at Liquor Outlet to purchase things like Beam, HH ,and the like . One day it was gone and after checking found it to be unavailable ,needless to say I beat myself up over that. There still seems to be plenty of Old Charter presently.

Advanced Taster

Hello,
    Yes IW Harper is a big brand name in the asian market.Well atleast in Japan.There are four available bottles right now.
    I.W.Harper Gold Medal 80P
    I.W.Harper 101Proof
    I.W.Harper 12Years 86P
    I.W.Harper President Reserve 86P
    My favorite would be 101Proof,from the taste and price wise.

Koji

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I got to taste a bottle of the Gold Medal I W Harper and was very happy with it , I guess that was why I was so dissappointed when I could not find it . There may be a bottle somewhere I haven't gone looking for treasures lately. It was priced a little steep relatively speaking about $35.00 for 750ml and at 80 proof .

Bobby Cox

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Old Charter Classic 90

Bobby let me reccommend a twelve year old version of Old Charter called 'Classic 90'. It's only $14 at Liquor Outlet and quite delicious in every way, with a fine finish.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I second Linn's endorsement of the Old Charter "Classic 90." That is my choice when I want one of the Bernheim bourbons.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Guru

I looked for Old Charter in the Alabama ABC store, but I only found the "regular" kind. It was just $10 for 750 ml, so I decided to pass.

My inexpensive bourbon of choice is (and I think it will remain so, for a long time) Old Forester. It is damned tasty.

Tim

Enthusiast

I figured that if Linn and Chuck both recommend Old Charter 'Classic 90' 12 year old, it's got to be worth a try.

They were right, boy howdy, they were right in spades. I've since bought up every bottle of 'Classic 90' at my local discount likker store, have them ordering more for me. The 'Classic 90' is now one of my daily pours.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by texascarl on Mon Apr 8 05:23:28 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

**DONOTDELETE**

You got that right Carl! I also agree with Chuck when he opined that you must live in "bourbon heaven". Party at Carl's!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.