Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Ezra B. single barrel 12yr.

i picked up this whiskey today, although i'm not an ezra fan. i understand this particular label is completely different from the rest of the ezra line.
    has anyone had a chance to try this bourbon? i only got it to add to my collection, but i might open it soon if i get some possitive feedback
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Re: Ezra B. single barrel 12yr.

Quote Originally Posted by straightwhiskeyruffneck View Post
    i picked up this whiskey today, although i'm not an ezra fan. i understand this particular label is completely different from the rest of the ezra line...
    Well, hard to tell how different -- other than age -- because one can't be certain where the bourbon comes from. It's a David Sherman Corporation (St. Louis) bottling, and though DSC has a bulk distillery, I've never heard them claim to make bourbon. Thus, they buy it.
    I have several bottles left of the old Ezra B 15yo, which I still find occasionally around here, and I like it rather well. However, I've never heard much positive about the 12yo comparative to the original 15yo, so haven't purchased a bottle.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

i was under the impression that they bought whiskey from heaven hill
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Quote Originally Posted by straightwhiskeyruffneck View Post
    i was under the impression that they bought whiskey from heaven hill
    Generally a reasonable assumption -- but it IS an assumption, because neither DSC nor HH is saying.
    Tim

Virtuoso

Question Re: Ezra B. single barrel 12yr.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    I have several bottles left of the old Ezra B 15yo, which I still find occasionally around here, and I like it rather well.
    Speaking of Ezra B 15YO, this bottle I found a few days ago (and mentioned in the 'Wathens' thread) has a bottling date of early 2002. Int terms of opinions out there, just wondering if this is HH which was probably distilled in 1986. Any guesses or theory?

Virtuoso

Lightbulb Re: Ezra B. single barrel 12yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Speaking of Ezra B 15YO, this bottle I found a few days ago (and mentioned in the 'Wathens' thread) has a bottling date of early 2002.
    CORRECTION: Year of bottling is 2000. Further research through older threads and some recent comment tells me we do not really know where the bourbon came from or probably ever will for that matter. Especially since DSC is not active the production arena of the business. In any event, it is very good - and like others have said on here, there is very little if any hint of HH in this bourbon. The nose & taste remind me of another distillery house but at this point I just can't put my finger on it. Not going to dwell on it too much though because it is a very tasty pour and one I would have never tried if not for you folks - MANY THANKS!!!!
    Last edited by jeff; 01-08-2007 at 10:23.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    ...Speaking of Ezra B 15YO...CORRECTION: Year of bottling is 2000. Further research through older threads and some recent comment tells me we do not really know where the bourbon came from or probably ever will for that matter.
    I know it doesn't _have to be_, but if it was distilled in 1985, is there any reason that it couldn't be Medley whiskey from Owensboro? I had thought that there was a long relationship between Owensboro whiskey and the Ezra Brooks label until the closure of the distillery. And, after the closing of the distillery (1992?), the remaining stocks in the rickhouse might still have been the most expedient source for Sherman. Speculation, sure... but that's all we have unless them's that knows starts talkin'.

Roger

Virtuoso

After a week away from it, enjoyed some more Ezra 15 tonite. It is even better the second time around. Though not sure from whence it comes but don't care. Just as so many others have commented in another thread, this is a fine and overlooked bourbon. I do note the wood coming thru pretty strong as has been mentioned by others. However, to my tastebuds, it is not overpowering and I find it quite complimentary and enjoyable. The wood just adds some character to it that only comes with age. Very, very good!!!!

Novice

Elija Craig is bottled at Heaven Hill. I bottle it

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by PK486 View Post
    Elija Craig is bottled at Heaven Hill. I bottle it
    Hello! Welcome to the site. Who might you be?