Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Nother new guy

Advanced Taster

'Nother new guy

Hi all! This is my first post here and I would like to say that its great to be a part of this community. Lots of good knowledge floatin' about here.

I just turned 21 this September and found out quickly that my favorite spirit is bourbon. I just cant get accustomed to clear spirits. I like my liquor like I like my beer, dark and strong! I dont have much experience with all the various brands, labels etc, but the 2 best bourbons I've found so far are Makers Mark and Knob Creek. My neighbor introduced me to MM and it was the first whiskey that I didnt grimace when drinking. Kinda pricey but I like the taste. I could honestly care less if it was dipped in wax or not, it has a nice smooth taste to it and thats all that matters.

The Knob Creek is strong stuff! Not as easy drinking as the MM, but very good nonetheless. Also pricey but well worth it IMHO.

I am setting out to find a bottle of Elijah Craig 12yr tomorrow. It will be the oldest bourbon I have tasted so far. I am hoping and praying that I dont end up with a bad cork though. Keepin my fingers crossed!

I dont see much info here on Rebel Yell straight bourbon, and I'm curious as to why? Its next on my "to-do" list if you will. I have a sudden interest in wheated bourbons lately, and it not too expensive. Locally its $21 plus tax here in NY. If any of you have any experience with it, please let me know.

Eric

Connoisseur

Re: 'Nother new guy

Welcome and enjoy the research!
    MM is a nice smooth start...it's what ultimately led me here as well. I do not find the EC 12 to be a smooth pour, I enjoy it, but it's not as smooth as others, at least to my tongue. If you have access to Weller 12 or Evan Williams Single Barrel, those are 2 of the smoothest I think I have had, and at least in my area not priced bad either.
    I am sure others with more experience than I will offer some suggestions as well.

Todd

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    I dont see much info here on Rebel Yell straight bourbon, and I'm curious as to why? Its next on my "to-do" list if you will. I have a sudden interest in wheated bourbons lately, and it not too expensive. Locally its $21 plus tax here in NY. If any of you have any experience with it, please let me know.

Eric
    Welcome!

Rebel Yell is nice, not great, but nice. It, like MM is a wheater. I don't usually write tasting notes, but I seem to recall an sweet cotton candy like note. At 80 proof it is pretty mild, smooth stuff. It is made from the same mashbill as the Weller 12. The Weller 12 is much better whiskey. If it isn't too much more than Rebel Yell I would get that.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    ...Rebel Yell is...made from the same mashbill as the Weller 12...
    Have I missed something? Do we know this? Ed?
    True, Rebel Yell and the W.L. Weller label were once both Stitzel-Weller, but neither is today, of course -- the Weller 12 was created after the Wellers went to Buffalo Trace, and the Rebel Yell now is bottled by David Sherman Corporation from who-knows-who's whiskey. Or, at least, that's what I thought. Has BT been selling DSC wheated bourbon?
    Tim

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Have I missed something? Do we know this? Ed?
    True, Rebel Yell and the W.L. Weller label were once both Stitzel-Weller, but neither is today, of course -- the Weller 12 was created after the Wellers went to Buffalo Trace, and the Rebel Yell now is bottled by David Sherman Corporation from who-knows-who's whiskey. Or, at least, that's what I thought. Has BT been selling DSC wheated bourbon?
    Hi Tim,
    Your knowledge of the ins and outs of the distilling world is far deeper than mine. But I thought I 'knew' this. Why did I think so...

Buffalo Trace is in Frankfort and the label of my Rebel Yell says Louisville, so that isn't it. Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible doesn't make that claim either. All I'm left with is the claim on the label that Rebel Yell is "made from the same Southern Sour Mash recipe that made W.L. Weller's bourbon famous." Pretty weak. I stand corrected.

I am still guessing that it is coming from Buffalo Trace, but that is all it is, only a guess.

Hi Eric,

If this is a bit esoteric, don't worry. Hang around here long enough and it will all start to make sense. Bottom line is that Rebel Yell is pretty good wheated bourbon and Weller 12 is really good wheated bourbon. You know you like wheaters because you like MM and that is a wheat bourbon.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas!

The only problem with finding any good bourbon nearby, is that the liquor stores have a somewhat limited selection. I had to special order the EC12, and hopefully they received it in time. I'm thinking about going there and politely asking if I can look at his ordering catalog just to see what he is able to get. Liqour prices run kinda high around here it seems, compared to what I've seen on here. The EC12 is going to be $21, where I've heard of people only paying $12.50 in other states for it.

Any good news on the Evan WIlliams black label? Its inexpensive and mighty tempting at only $12 here.

Eric

Connoisseur

There are plenty of lower shelf pours which I enjoy. Try to pick up some Wild Turkey 101. Many poeple (myself included) consider this to be a benchmark bourbon. It does everything it should, and the price is right.

If you want some selection, why not take a trip and head off to Lenell's? I am not sure where it is exactly, but they will have almost anything you could be looking for.

Connoisseur

If you have a place you can order Bottles from, and they have a nice selection, that will be a real blessing. Here in State Controlled WA State, the EC 12 goes for $19.95. I have looked at Lennels web site and find the prices pretty close to our State Controlled prices out here in WA, they have a much better selection at Lennels however.

If you pick up Chuck Cowdery's book Bourbon Straight, He explains that Evan Williams black label is the same thing as EC 12, only the EW is only 7 years old. I don't think its bad...just not as flavorful as it's older siblings.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    ...Bottom line is that Rebel Yell is pretty good wheated bourbon and Weller 12 is really good wheated bourbon. You know you like wheaters because you like MM and that is a wheat bourbon.

Ed
    Aw, heck, Ed -- I'm a student at heart, and I'm always trolling for info. I thought you'd solved a bourbon mystery.
    Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if BT DID supply some whiskey for Rebel Yell at some point -- but they have such a shortage for their own products today, I can't see how it's continued, if it did happen.
    Heaven Hill is the usual suspect in these things, of course, but since Heaven Hill has only been distilling wheated bourbon (and the Rebel Yell website does assure it's still wheated) since they purchased Old Fitzgerald, they wouldn't have been supplying RY for very long, if they are at all. Since RY is only 4 years old, presumably, it could certainly be HH, and who else distills wheat and could be a possibility?
    In any case, I agree that for a $10, young bourbon, Rebel Yell works just fine for a lot of things. And, of course, W.L. Weller 12yo is an inexpensive step up in quality.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Well the EC12 was back-ordered, so I snagged a bottle of Rebel Yell KSBW for $13, and the owner also threw in a free 50ml nip of Evan Williams Single Barrel!

I had him look up some prices for Van Winkle bourbon and the lowest he could find was $28. The EWSB liter was $25 and George Dickel's tennessee whiskey was $28. Sounds kinda high compared to what others have posted.

the Evan Willimas black is $12 and Jim Beam black is $22 locally. Does the extra 1 year of the JBB make that much difference over the EW to command an extra $10 for the same size bottle?

There was a bottle of Old Grand Dad 100 proof BIB for $17, so that might be my next purchase.

As for the book, it sounds like a good read no doubt. I will be picking up a copy in the near future.

Eric