Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast

Re: storage of Bourbon

Ok guys this has been beat to death and I'm starting to feel bad for all you who worry so much about it. Unopened bottles are a no brainer. Stick them in a cabinet or whatever and don't sweat it. Hell I've got 15 bottles in the cabinet that holds up my fish tank.

I've had bottles open for what seems like forever that seemed just fine. If they are still open after a year then why even buy it in the first place. Phone some friends and drink up.

And for the worse case situation and one starts to go "off", here is the simple solution. Have your first drink or two from a drink you know to be "fresh" then switch to the other. You won't even notice.

Chris

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post
    Ok guys this has been beat to death and I'm starting to feel bad for all you who worry so much about it. Unopened bottles are a no brainer. Stick them in a cabinet or whatever and don't sweat it. Hell I've got 15 bottles in the cabinet that holds up my fish tank.

I've had bottles open for what seems like forever that seemed just fine. If they are still open after a year then why even buy it in the first place. Phone some friends and drink up.

And for the worse case situation and one starts to go "off", here is the simple solution. Have your first drink or two from a drink you know to be "fresh" then switch to the other. You won't even notice.

Chris
    AMEN! the way i see it, if its open drink it. if its not been opened, dont worry about it.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
    W.C. Fields (1880-1946)

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post

Chris
    You are right, open bottles are pretty much a no-brainer. Stick it in a cool dark place, standing up, and you have it pretty much covered.

However, I know quite a few people here have many more bottles open than they could drink in 1, 2 or 3 years. At that point open bottle storage becomes a major issue. In a pure tasting environment, where you might only consume a 1/4 oz or so of each bottling and you want it to represent what the whiskey tasted like when it was bottled, even slight amounts of oxidation are detrimental to your experience.

If this is not they way anyone wants to operate, that is fine, however many do, they want to be able to enjoy and compare the same whiskey for a very long time, and for those people this becomes a very important issue.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

I have many bottles open and I only take notice if the bottle is half full or less. If so I concentrate on that bottle until it is gone. So far no noticeable changes in flavor.

bj

I also try to keep the number of open bottle to a min., say 5. The only rare case would be a bottle that you dont care so much for. But i suck it up and work on that bottle during the week, and keep the good stuff for the weekend.