Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Smile Newbie with questions

I have read many posts here over the past few months and I appreciate all the knowledge many of you have given me. Like many people I got started drinking bourbon by trying MM. I am now wanting to broaden my horizons by trying a few others. I just picked up a bottle of WT RB but have yet to try it. I am also a big fan of the microbrew beer industry and have some knowledge of how to use tasting notes. In tasting beer I prefer a beer that is more on the malty side. I also like more of a smooth, sweet but yet full bodied beer. Are there a few bourbons out there that anyone could recommend? The others that I have tried are JB black (ok), Woodford Reserve (which I did not like as much as some others), Elija Craig (ok but not as sweet or smooth as say MM) and EW Vintage 1995 which I liked. One last question is there anywhere in MN to buy the Elmer T Lee? Sorry for not using the correct abreviations.

Enthusiast

Re: Newbie with questions

You can't go wrong with any of the offerings from Wild Turkey. $17.00 to $32.00 will cover every bottle that they produce around here. I don't see it talked about much here but a personal favorite of mine is the Wild Turkey Rye at around 18 bucks or so.

Another personal favorite is the Eagle Rare 10 year old. Not the older stock talked up but the newer bottles being released. I don't know what it is about this particular bottle but it's fantastic.

I'm not a big fan of tasting notes. I just continue to buy what I like and avoid what I don't, although sometimes I'll give a recommended brand a second try. After all these years of drinking bourbon, scotch or whatever I've yet to taste a nut, caramel, coffee, cotton candy or whatever else the flavor of the year may be.

Chris

Thnaks for the reply I will let you know what I think of the WT RB. I have also been tempted to try the Eagle Rare.
    WAL

Taster

I'm pretty new to bourbon myself. I have similar tastes to you in beer, so it will be interesting to see if we like the same bourbons. I do like the 1995 Evan Williams Single Barrel, and I like Eagle Rare.

I really like the flavor of WTRB, but it is a little fiery, and takes a few sips to get my mouth and throat in shape to really enjoy it. An ice cube or a little water helps a lot. It is quite a bit different from the brands mentioned above, but if you like Wild Turkey you'll almost certainly enjoy the WTRB as well.

Regarding tasting notes - I have to agree with Chris. I try to taste all those different flavors, but my brain just won't sort them out.

Have Fun!

Jeff

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Minnesota is a big state.....where about in Minnesota?

Downtown Minneapolis is a place called Surdyks. They carry the Antique Collection.

Out near Plymouth is a store called The Wine Cellar(s). Great Selection of Bourbon! They carry all the Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace products.

There's also a store in St. Cloud (I think), near the mall, it has a pretty good selection.

I've only travelled the area between Minneapolis and Buffalo.....lots of liquor stores with pitiful bourbon selections

Dawn

Smile Re: Newbie with questions

Thanks for the reply. I live in Maple Grove so getting to all of those locations will be very easy.
    WAL