Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Rittenhouse 21 Single Barrel Which of 31

Quote Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
    Can anyone that has a copy of the 2007 Whiskey Bible tell me what # a few of the higher rated barrels of Rittenhouse 21 are please?

I am about to purchase one, and want to try and get one of the higher rated ones, if possible.

Cheers!!

Scott
    Scott, best I can tell you is that I glanced through a copy of the book somewhere, noting that Barrel # 23 -- the one from which I still have a couple of bottles -- was rated 93, tied for the third-highest rating he gave. Most were from 87 to 92.
    Tim

Thanks Tim, I appreciate that.

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Scott, best I can tell you is that I glanced through a copy of the book somewhere, noting that Barrel # 23 -- the one from which I still have a couple of bottles -- was rated 93, tied for the third-highest rating he gave. Most were from 87 to 92.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

Question Re: Rittenhouse 21 Single Barrel Which of 31

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Saw one of these yesterday for $136 - can't recall if it was the 21 or 23yo. Worth the price in your opinion? As the supply of old rye continues to diminish - probably faster than old bourbon ('old' being 18+ years), it could be a good buy now compared to what it may be in a couple of years(?).

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Saw one of these yesterday for $136 - can't recall if it was the 21 or 23yo. Worth the price in your opinion? As the supply of old rye continues to diminish - probably faster than old bourbon ('old' being 18+ years), it could be a good buy now compared to what it may be in a couple of years(?).
    It has never been worth the price, in my opinion. Heaven Hill is selling an $80 whiskey for double that. I think that's why you can still find it, at either age.
    I was among a few here who tasted it at barrel-proof before they bottled it -- wow, was that something special! They diluted it (to 100 proof) and raised the price. Bad move. Can't really blame them, though -- they don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing.
    It's excellent rye, and each of us just has to decide whether or not to overpay for a singular experience. I did, but I have all I want now.
    Tim

Virtuoso

I did as well and have 2 bottles from Barrel #5, I think 77 and 83? anyway I have not opened one yet.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Can anyone that has a copy of the 2007 Whiskey Bible tell me what # a few of the higher rated barrels of Rittenhouse 21 are please?...
    Okay, Scott, I finally have the '08 Whisky Bible in hand, so here are Murray's takes on the 31 barrels' bottlings:

• #1 (91): super-ripe fruit, impatient oak, waves of spice
    • #2 (89): dryer, oakier
    • #3 (91): fruity, soft
    • #4 (90): enormous
    • #5 (93): early rye surge
    • #6 (87): juicy, vanilla
    • #7 (90): even, soft, honeyed
    • #8 (95): the works, massive rye
    • #9 (91): sharp rye, salivating
    • #10 (93): complex, sweet
    • #11 (93): rich, juicy, spicy
    • #12 (91): near identical to #1
    • #13 (91): citrus and toasty
    • #14 (94): big rye and marzipan
    • #15 (88): major oak influence
    • #16 (90): spicy and toffeed
    • #17 (90): flinty, firm, late rye kick
    • #18 (91): big rye delivery
    • #19 (87): major coffee input
    • #20 (91): spicy sugar candy
    • #21 (94): subtle, fruity
    • #22 (89): molassed rye
    • #23 (94): soft fruit, massive rye
    • #24 (88): intense oak and caramel
    • #25 (93): heavy rye and spice
    • #26 (92): subtle, delicate rye
    • #27 (94): delicate rye throughout
    • #28 (96): salivating, roasty, major
    • #29 (88): hot, fruity
    • #30 (91): warming cough sweets
    • #31 (90): aggressive rye

As you can see, the range is from 87-96, with an average of 91.
    Tim

Thanks Tim, nice work there. Brett made the offer to go through and look for certain barrel #'s, but I decided against it. The way I see it, no matter what barrel my bottle comes from, it will be great Rye.
    He has a heap of it - he was after the 23yo and his distributor didn't have any as he still had too much of the 21 - so what did Brett do? He purchased all of it! That's why he said he would look - he's bound to have a few different ones.
    They have also reduced the price to $129.99

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

Thanks Tim! While I am still 'sitting on the fence' on whether to fork out the bucks for an R21, your info makes me lean ever so slightly to the buy side. The only ones I have come across are from barrel #11 which is a higher ranked one according to the book. Just have not (and may never) totally justify spending over $150 incl tax when a $40 bottle of VWFRR may be every bit its equal on my novice palate.

Well I just received my Rittenhouse 21 from Binnys, and they sent me 2 bottles instead of 1. They are both from barrel #19. According to the notes Tim posted from Murrays Whiskey Bible, this is not only the lowest scoring barrel, but has 'major coffee input'. I hate coffee!!

I guess you can't win them all. Maybe I should have specified a barrel number!

Scott

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Well I just received my Rittenhouse 21 from Binnys, and they sent me 2 bottles instead of 1. They are both from barrel #19. According to the notes Tim posted from Murrays Whiskey Bible, this is not only the lowest scoring barrel, but has 'major coffee input'. I hate coffee!!

Scott
    I would try not to let 1 person's tasting notes influence you too much, if at all. Your tasting notes might be something very different. This guy tasted 31 barrels, probably in a row; you think he is perfect?