Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Whiskey in the Old West

So I'm watching Deadwood for the first time recently, and everything they drink was pretty much whiskey. What type of whiskey did they drink back then? They even mention whiskey from Basil hayden but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Connoisseur

Re: Whiskey in the Old West

As I understand it, Deadwood happens to be very period correct. All of the characters are factual, all of the stories check out. I may go so far to say that Deadwood is closer to a history book than a TV series.

Guru

I'm not sure if this is the proper way to provide a link, but here is the address of a web page any fan of Deadwood will find informative: www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-DeadwoodHBO.html

I'm a huge fan of this show. In fact I'm a huge fan of most all westerns. everything from many of the Duke's early work for Republic Pictures in the mid 30's, classics like The Outlaw (with Jane Russell) to modern westerns like Open range etc.

Back on point: The website contains pictures of saloon art and advertising some of which are ads for brands of whiskey. How truthful the ads are is any body's guess. Interesting nonetheless.

Enthusiast

Thanks for the link!
    --Mark

Connoisseur

I'm a huge fan of Deadwood, and very disappointed the series was cancelled. That said, I could swear that there were several scenes in Deadwood when a whiskey bottle was visible that looked exactly like today's Bulleit bourbon bottle, complete with orange label. Did anyone else notice this? Was this a "frontier whiskey" product placement?

Enthusiast

Supposedly they are moving forward with two 2 hour movies to wrap up loose plotlines.
    --Mark

Disciple

I have been meaning to watch this. I read a (The?) book called Deadwood a couple of years ago. I assume that this book is the origin of the HBO series, but I don't know that for sure.

I just checked Amazon Japan and they want about 200 bucks for seasons 1&2. That is a lot of bourbon... I will check the video rental first.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

I am by far NOT an expert on western whiskey but IFRC most was bought in bulk and decanted on site. It was most often watered (or worse) down and sometimes what was called whiskey was really not whiskey at all.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TnSquire View Post
    I am by far NOT an expert on western whiskey but IFRC most was bought in bulk and decanted on site. It was most often watered (or worse) down and sometimes what was called whiskey was really not whiskey at all.
    I believe you are right. Wasn't this one of the reasons for the Bottled In Bond Act of 1894(?)

I remember reading somewhere that Wild Bill Hickok's favorite favorite mixed drink was a stone fence:a shot of rye in a glass of lemonade. Indeed I have always gotten the impression that rye was much more popular than bourbon.

I'm to lazy to search it out, but what about "western" actors from the silent era such as Tom Mix, who before his acting careerer had joined the army in 189? and had spent some time as a lawman (in Oklahoma I think)? He and some of his older contemporaries were, in the 1920's and 30's, sort of a living link between the real west and the Hollywood version. Mix was by most accounts a real party animal, nothing like the wholesome William Boyd AKA "Hopalong Cassidy". I wonder if Mix left any written accounts of his early drinking exploits. And what information could be gleaned from them.

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    ...the Bottled In Bond Act of 1894(?)...
    1897, with the first bourbon issued 1901. Yes, it was.
    Tim