Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best of 2006

Connoisseur

Best of 2006

My pick is the 2006 William Larue Weller. It’s an amazing bourbon with a remarkable finish that goes on and on. The sweet nose and taste even shine through the added harshness and woodiness that the char I accidentally poured into this glass has. The supposed origin of this particular bourbon is an added bonus, provided it’s true.

Just wondering what everyone’s favorite for last year was. Out of all the different kinds that you tried last year, which one stands out to you the most? It doesn't have to be something that was new last year, just something that was new to you.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

Re: Best of 2006

Well, seeing as all Bourbon was new to me last year, I am going to have to go with my holy grail. ORVW 15/107

Advanced Taster

[quote=gothbat;77936]My pick is the 2006 William Larue Weller...
    The supposed origin of this particular bourbon is an added bonus, provided it’s true.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought this had been verified by Chris Comstock at Buffalo Trace?
    Man, I hope it's true... especially now that I've got a few bottles safely tucked away...

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I'll go with OFBB 06, damn fine stuff.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

Lightbulb Re: Best of 2006

It was a 3-way tie for me between WTRB, WT12 & Blanton's. Why it took me so long on the RB & Blanton's, I can't explain. Now, the WT12......just took me a long while to find one. I branched out a lot in 2006. Looking forward to continuing the trend in 07.

Guru

I agree, the new WLW '06 is outstanding. The other great new pour of 2006 was FR SB.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

I'd extend the honor to the whole '06 BTAC.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Guru

Ugh...I don't want to pick. There are so many fine choices. the Lot B and Hirsch really bowled me over. I must say though that he WLW '06 is mighty fine. I tried it for the first time at the KBF last year and had to have a bottle. ER17, Wathens SB, Vintage 17, Old Pogue, GTS, Saz......forget it, I can't pick.

Taster

Being a novice most of what I have had has been new to me. WT101, BT, OG BIB, and Harpers Gold medal stand out. My so called bunker (can two bottles be called a bunker?) hold Old Weller 107 and Harpers 15 yr. I think 07 will be a time of new found knowledge and even more bourbon.

Happy New Year to all,
    MikeR

Enthusiast

GTS, Fall '05. Great stuff.

-Kevin