Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best of 2006

Guru

Re: Best of 2006

I'll have to go with the old ryes - Rittenhouse 21, Willett's and Red Hook.
    All excellent.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

I haven't tried my BTACs yet, can't bring myself to do it. So my favourite bourbon of 2006 would be Blanton's Gold. I love the stuff. I preferred it over the Hirsh 16 (gold foil).
    I think I got EC18 for the first time around now last year, so it would have just been 2006. Another one that I am very fond of, there have been some very mixed opinions on this board but I give it 2 thumbs up!!
    Cheers!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

We enjoyed our very first bottle of Blanton's Gold in 2006 and I agree.....it's great!!!

Dawn

Guru

As I recall, it was the bottle of Eagle Rare 101 that as I rememeber did not lat very long once it was opened. Looking for another one of those for sure.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

I guess my most memorable 2006 bottle would be this one, opened with friends at the Sampler in April, and the bottle and last 150ml or so sent home with Julian and Preston at the Festival in September:

Weller SR BIB_1948.jpg WLWeller8BIB.jpg

Julian said it was the oldest Weller he'd ever tried. The quality and taste of the whiskey itself was transcendent, but not more so than the opportunity to share it with its makers' familial and historical descendants.
    Tim

Advanced Taster

I will have to agree with the first poster and say the William LaRue Weller 06 is top on my list for 2006. My best discovery has to be Rittenhouse Rye 100pf BIB for value and best bang for the buck.

bj

Advanced Taster

Echoing Ubertaster, my great discovery for 2006 was Rittenhouse 100-proof BiB rye. I bought my first bottle to use in Presbyterians but soon realized that I enjoyed its contents neat, with the ginger ale and ice safely tucked away in the refrigerator and freezer, respectively.

I guess my other "favorites of 2006" are: Binny's, which enables me to taste a lot of bourbons that aren't available to me locally; and (at the risk of sounding corny) this website, which has taught me a lot about bourbon and how to participate in a very generous web-community during my relatively short interest in American whiskey.

Taster

In the new to me category...I have to give Old Commonwealth 107 the nod, but Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve (Heritage Collection-Louisville) was right behind the leader.
    "Now it is time for that mellow moment"

Advanced Taster

I have to agree with Goth, the WLW is an outstanding bourbon that is the most drinkable bottle I have had in a long time. I did go through a bottle of GTS Fall '05 but while it was great I enjoyed the WLW more. Of course I orderer those two and a Hirsh 16 all at the same time from K&L (Great service BTW), can't go wrong with that grouping!!!!!

Tim
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"

Apprentice

Who's K&L???????