Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Your First Bourbon of 2007 was:

Sitting Here drinking some OGD 114.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvanfan View Post
    Back in 2001, there was a store in Coralville that carried the 10, 15, and rye squats, but nothing since. The closest Binny's is less than 160 miles from my house so don't feel too bad for me Dawn. Now if I can get Binny's talked into opening up a store on the Illinois side of the Quad Cities... one can dream. Unfortunately, it's 450 miles for me to get anything 4 Roses so my bottle of Single Barrel may remain unopened for quite sometime.
    How familiar are you with the Illinois side? The Hy-Vee in Milan carries a pretty good selection of bourbon. It is the only place I can find Weller Antique, they also carry BT (which I see from one of your previous posts you enjoy). Last year I got the manager to order the BTAC, but I think I was just about the only one to buy any. This year no luck.

Enthusiast

Rittenhouse BIB. Not bourbon obviously but I'm now on my way to Elmer T. Lee and would like to wish him the best of health in 2007.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

My first bourbon of 2007 was VBT#30, but before that I had some Dickel Barrel Select. It's looking to be a good year already.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster

Lawrenceburg Lemonade made with Henry McKenna.....I was drinking mixed drinks in order to conserve sobriety for a respectable amount of time at my party and not make a fool of myself singing karaoke like I did last year!
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Connoisseur

I can now say with some degre of certianity (is that even a word?) that the first bourbon which I have dranken (grammar?) was WT101. The nice bartender lady kindly offered my buddy and I Knob Creek at $1.50 a pour thereafter. Seeing as she only had a half bottle left of it, we finished it off to help her out...

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I finished off the bottle with a 1 oz pour of FR Small Batch for first drink in 2007.

Apprentice

On the 31st was Lot B and Elmer T., then on the 1st 2007 Lot B. Happy New Year to you all.

George

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Sitting Here drinking some OGD 114.

How familiar are you with the Illinois side? The Hy-Vee in Milan carries a pretty good selection of bourbon. It is the only place I can find Weller Antique, they also carry BT (which I see from one of your previous posts you enjoy). Last year I got the manager to order the BTAC, but I think I was just about the only one to buy any. This year no luck.
    Illfarmboy:

There used to be a great store in East Moline that carried Van Winkle and many other great products, but that place has since closed after 30+ years in business. I was aware that the Milan HyVee had a great beer selection, but was unaware they sold Buffalo Trace or the Antiques(at one time)

thanks for the info...

ripvanfan

Taster

I haven't had any in 2007. But the last one I had in 2006 was Kentucky Tavern.

My wife and daughter were both sick in bed, but we'd been invited to a neighborhood gathering at the house down the street. We're a pretty close knit street, so I felt sort of obligated to make an appearance, even though I wasn't planning on staying long. I had prepared some hors d'oeuvres earlier anyway when the rest of the family had still planned on going.

So the hostess welcomes me in, I say hello to everyone and she shows me to the little bar. They had Maker's and Kentucky Tavern. I can hear you screaming now, but I actually reached for the Kentucky Tavern. Hehehe. I've had Maker's. I like it fine. I have some in my own collection. Kentucky Tavern was new to me. I'd seen it (always on the bottom shelf) but never tried it.

I almost always try new bourbons straight up, but decided that ice might be prudent with this one.

You know what? It wasn't bad at all. Very middle of the road inoffensive, mildly sweet. I ended up having another before I left.

I really am starting to believe that there are no bad bourbons, only better ones.

Taster

Old Forester 100. I wish you all a very good year.
    J.W.