Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Should I Try Next?

I recently did a blind taste test of my (mostly bourbon) whiskies, and here's what I came up with. Anybody care to recommend further purchases along these lines, or something new I should try?

5/5: Evan Williams white, Maker's Mark

4/5: Knob Creek, L&G Woodford Reserve

3/5: Bulleit, Jim Beam, Buffalo Trace, Bushmills, Wild Turkey 101

2/5: George Dickel No. 12. I just don't seem to care for TN whiskey much, although I thought Gentleman Jack was alright.

Connoisseur

Re: What Should I Try Next?

Congratulations on doing blind taste testing. When I first joined this forum very few would do a blind taste test. I have often done them.

Keep in mind that bourbon is very much a matter of taste and developed over time. Therefore, the more you taste the greater the chance you'll develop different opinions.

Because bourbon is a matter of taste I just might love Buffalo Trace (I do happen to think it is a tremendous value) while someone else here doesn't like it much. And I might not like their favorite bourbon.

Since you like Makers Mark, try Weller 12 yr. old if you can get it. I was just talking with the distiller of that product last week and he and I agree it is a great wheated bourbon and a great value (more value than Makers).

If you can get any Four Roses "small batch" try it as it will give you a taste profile from yet another distiller.

You also may (or may not) want to try some super premium products such as Wild Turkey's Kentucky Spirit or Evan Williams Single Barrel. Or some super,super premium products like Blanton's. But keep in mind that very good bourbon can be had at medium prices like Knob Creek (and in my humble opinion, Weller 12).

Good Tasting!
    Greg Kitzmiller

You ahould try Emer T Lee, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Old Forester, Old Weller 12y and 107P, Old Grand Dad 100P and 114P, and Rock Hill Farms.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by drli View Post
    You ahould try Emer T Lee, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Old Forester, Old Weller 12y and 107P, Old Grand Dad 100P and 114P, and Rock Hill Farms.
    And...the Van Winkle line in an excellent choice. Here in VA a bottle of Lot B runs $35.

I went and got a bottle of EW SB last night...bottled the day before my birthday! Obviously a good sign. I didn't get a chance to try it, but am looking forward to it.

So, what did you think of the EWSB?

Joel
    "Oh Bother!" said Pooh as he slapped another magazine in his AK-47...

http://vinesnwines.blogspot.com

I got it and some Weller 12 yo (which was hard to find around here, the one place that had it seemed to have some sort of exclusive agreement to carry it). Anyway, I haven't tried either one yet. I've got 10 smaller bottles open, and am waiting to finish some of them off first.

Advanced Taster

Try Eagle Rare 10 yr old...Basil Haydens,Wathens,Elijah Craig 12 yr old, Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr old 107 proof..These are some really good ones..i also like old charter 12 yr old...

Apprentice

Evan Williams Green Label, Jim Beam White Label, Bellow's, Seagrams 7, Jack Daniels, Ezra Brooks Green Label, Kentucky Gentlman, Old Crow, Ten High, Early Times........ Sorry thats what I put out for my Brother-in-Law.

I tried the EWSB. At first, I really didn't like it. It tasted quite different than the whitel label. Theoretically, it's the same stuff, correct? Just not blended? I grew to like it a little more tasting it later.

I got the Weller 12yo, and BOY, I really liked that. It's my new favorite. I don't know what it is, maybe the wheat? I really like it, though.

I never could find any Four Roses locally. I've got Rare Breed out in the car, can't wait to try it.