Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Good rye for a beginner?

Hi all. I have heard good things on several posts here about rye whiskey. I would like to know which one is good to start with if youre not sure you'll like it. I can get Jim Beam Rye locally, but any others I have not seen. I could probably ask to have some ordered if need be. Any suggestions guys? Thank you.

Eric

Re: Good rye for a beginner?

I have never tried Jim Beam Rye, but I really like Rittenhouse BIB 100P Rye and Wild Turkey Rye. I would try the Rittenhouse 1st because it is about 1/2 the price of the Wild Turkey.

Advanced Taster

You can't go wrong with Wild Turkey Rye
    Chris/Oregon

Connoisseur

Old Overholt is not bad...Have you tried a real rye heavy Bourbon yet like ODG 114? Its got some nice bite to it, great flavor and nose.
    Todd

Connoisseur

Eric,

If you are serious about your question, it would be helpful to know where you are at to know what you have accessible in your area.

Rye is a wonderful thing.

Unfortunately, I think it is on the verge of becoming trendy.

The easiest to find right now is Saz Jr (Binny's). It's excellent. Rye's are very varied. No two are going to taste alike.

Good hunting.
    Mark/Nebraska

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take... but by the moments that take your breath away. 11/25/2004

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
    I can get Jim Beam Rye locally, but any others I have not seen. I could probably ask to have some ordered if need be.

Eric
    That's funny, I have always considered WT rye a bit easier to find, and also the one I would recommend normally. I really like Rittenhouse BIB, but always considered availablilty a problem. I would consider one of these two-as well as the Sazerac as a good place to start for a reasonable price, as they are all a bit higher in proof and tend to display what rye is all about much better.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

I think the Rittenhouse Rye is an excellent rye and I think it is much better than the Wild Turkey Rye at half the price. If you got into the $20 range the Sazarac Jr at about $25 is the way to go. If not available in your area Binny's is a good source.

bj

Advanced Taster

I'm in NY, just a few minutes from Syracuse. There is one store close by that I havent checked out yet. Its called Liqour Square and I think they have really good prices because they are more like a warehouse and buy things in bulk. I know they have Eagle Rare 10yo(not a rye but good from what I've heard) there from looking at the ads in the paper. Being this far away from Kentucky, it seems that most of the good bottlings are hard to find, and/or overpriced.

Eric

Advanced Taster

Went to the liquor store and had him order me a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye. It'll cost me around $17 once he gets it in, which seems pretty reasonable. Maybe now that the holidays are over I'll have more luck getting what I order.

Eric

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Jim Beam Rye, Wild Turkey Rye, Rittenhouse (80 or 100), Old Overholt, Pikesville and even Saz Jr. would all be considered "standard" ryes. Any of those would be a good place to start.

I'm tempted to say that the best rye for a beginner would be Old Grand-Dad or Bulleit, i.e., a high rye bourbon.