Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

Old Forrester 100 Proof (my first bottle). It's not as good as the OF Birthday (September, 2006), but nonetheless a pleasant dram as I like the tannins, wood and smoke flavors. They somewhat dominate the caramel, vanilla and sweet tones, which are barely discernable to me.

Sampled some Black Bush (Irish) yesterday and I'm trying to decide to whom I should give the remaining, almost-full bottle to and yet remain on speaking terms with them--or, better yet, give it to someone who has really pissed me off.
    Last edited by full_proof; 01-05-2007 at 19:36.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Taster

Started with PVW 15...progressed to ER 10...finishing off with Weller Antique 107. A bit of a downward progression...

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by full_proof View Post
    Sampled some Black Bush (Irish) yesterday and I'm trying to decide to whom I should give the remaining, almost-full bottle to and yet remain on speaking terms with them--or, better yet, give it to someone who has really pissed me off.
    If you were in the Chicago area, I'd be quite happy to take it off your hands.
    After I finished my pour of Saz 18, I went to the Larue... Hazmat III is waiting in the wings.
    Last edited by CrispyCritter; 01-05-2007 at 20:00. Reason: formatting trouble?
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Elmer T. Lee, been a while since I had this one. I really like it. A little sweet, compared to what I normally pour, but all in all I really enjoy this.....

Guru

ahhh...A.H. Hirsch 16.

Taster

A couple of Manhattans made with EC18. Later, a pour of ORVW 10/90, capped off with some Eagle Rare. I'm staying up a while to let it wear off .

Virtuoso

Smile Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

Began the 3-stage evening with Ezra B 15yo followed by Rittenhouse BIB (anybody know the age of?) and finishing with WT-03RB......still the best in the current WT family of U.S. offerings IMHO.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lamplighter View Post
    Began the 3-stage evening with Ezra B 15yo followed by Rittenhouse BIB (anybody know the age of?) and finishing with WT-03RB......still the best in the current WT family of U.S. offerings IMHO.
    Just the other day I heard it was 6 years old. I will search and see if I can confirm this.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by full_proof View Post
    You better send it to me along with all the other Irish and Scotch bottles you have. Crispy and me will make sure it gets a proper send off.

I finally opened a WT 12 split label (thanks Dawn & Jeremey) This is some outstanding stuff. I spent the night between this and the WT 12 export only. They both deserve respect but the Split Label takes the prize for BEST IN SHOW. Now I need to bunker a Gold Label WT 12 so I can go with the three.

FYI I have a couple of WT 12 Exports for trade. If anyone is interested PM me.
    Joe

Advanced Taster

Well, I like Redbreast and Jameson (I did not buy, but should have, the 12-yr-old). I've also enjoyed Glenfiddich and The Dalmore (I did not buy, but should have, the Cigar Malt). Admittedly, I'm still learning (thoroughly enjoyed Charles Cowdery's book, Bourbon, Straight). Perhaps my palate was tainted the night I tried Black Bush. It might be that I'm truly developing a preference for Bourbon, which is not to say I will not try (and enjoy) the other types of whiskeys. I think one writer on SB.com suggested fininshing a bottle before forming an opinion about a dram. Another suggestion I read was to dole marginal drams out to the in-laws or pain-in-the-(|) guests. SB.com is just chock full of great advice!
    Last edited by full_proof; 01-06-2007 at 13:51.
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.