Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Aaahhhhh... Fat Tire... the world's greatest beer!
    You have excellent taste indeed.

For the summer months, might I suggest New Belgium's Skinny Dip - very, very, very refreshing!

Last night I finished a bottle of W.L. Weller 12 yr - enjoyed each and every drink and will definitely be replacing it soon.

~tp
    I see I can consider myself fortunate. Fat Tire abundant around these parts and showing up on tap with increased frequency
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by SBOmarc View Post
    I see I can consider myself fortunate. Fat Tire abundant around these parts and showing up on tap with increased frequency
    Do not kid yourselves, people! Anyone with some beer knowledge should know that this beer is made with little care. After all, its heavily filtered, force carbonated (NOT bottle-conditioned, much to my chagrin), underattenuated, and a has buttload of apparent flaws (yeasty, flabby, and very grainy to name a few). People just love to impress others by saying something "knowledgeable" about any sort of craft beer. Just because a small brewery made it, does not mean it is of quality. Fat Tire is an unchallenging beer made for the masses. I've had al NB beers, and La Folie and Abbey Ale are the only ones worth consuming. La Folie is a Flemish sour ale aged for three years in wine barrels which are then dosed with wild yeast that induces spontaneous fermetaion. It is then refermented in the bottle and ages extremely well. Until people open their eyes and stop interpreting marketing and popularity as mirroring quality, then all hope is lost.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Who pissed in your "Wheaties"?

Bettye Jo

Quote Originally Posted by JRomain View Post
    Do not kid yourselves, people! Anyone with some beer knowledge should know that this beer is made with little care. After all, its heavily filtered, force carbonated (NOT bottle-conditioned, much to my chagrin), underattenuated, and a has buttload of apparent flaws (yeasty, flabby, and very grainy to name a few). People just love to impress others by saying something "knowledgeable" about any sort of craft beer. Just because a small brewery made it, does not mean it is of quality. Fat Tire is an unchallenging beer made for the masses. I've had al NB beers, and La Folie and Abbey Ale are the only ones worth consuming. La Folie is a Flemish sour ale aged for three years in wine barrels which are then dosed with wild yeast that induces spontaneous fermetaion. It is then refermented in the bottle and ages extremely well. Until people open their eyes and stop interpreting marketing and popularity as mirroring quality, then all hope is lost.

Guru

Bettye Jo,

Reminds me of Corona beer. You know, "The Beer With Something Extra"?

Wink, wink; nudge, nudge.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JRomain View Post
    The only beer knowledge that I have ever listened to is my own. So thank you for the information, and drink whatever you would like.

I will do the same.

Bob Marley.

Guru

Marc,

Let's not be hasty.

I actually enjoy reading/hearing the opinions of others when they don't sound like a put-down.

Come to think of it, not everyone who posts here meets that standard.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

I enjoy reading them also, And I did say Thank You.

Bob Marley.

Guru

WT Rare Breed. Haven't had this item in quite a while....been too busy with other fine selections. I forgot how tasty this is......

Connoisseur

As a follow-up, let me say as a homebrewer and beer lover that while Fat Tire is not up to the standards of many beer snobs (of which I am one), it is so far superior to 99% of beers produced in the world as to render any criticism superfluous.

I enjoy Fat Tire semi-frequently, and it has a unique character that no other beer approximates. It's not to everyone's taste, but I like it, especially with pork chops and fried apples.

Yes, New Belgium's Abbey Ale and La Folie are also good (though I'd add their Tripel is stellar and the 1554 is damnably drinkable), but New Belgium doesn't make a "bad" product. Remember, when comparing New Belgium to true Trappist ales, you are putting an American microbrew that must compete in a tough market and balance its appeal to beer snobs against its nationwide marketability up against a nanobrew made to a centuries-old tradition that appeals at least partly because of its rarity and its circumstance.

New Belgium has done more than probably any other microbrew except Sam Adams to further the palate of the beer snob and the casual beerdrinker alike. We owe the demand for and subsequent availability of Trappist beers stateside at least in part to New Belgium's efforts.

Now, I need to go get a sixer of Fat Tire. It's been awhile.

p.s. sorry for the hijack.

Drinking Knob Creek tonight (speaking of quality craft alcohol that the snobs like to beat up on)

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    As a follow-up, let me say as a home brewer and beer lover that while Fat Tire is not up to the standards of many beer snobs (of which I am one), it is so far superior to 99% of beers produced in the world as to render any criticism superfluous.

I enjoy Fat Tire semi-frequently, and it has a unique character that no other beer approximates. It's not to everyone's taste, but I like it, especially with pork chops and fried apples.

Yes, New Belgium's Abbey Ale and La Folie are also good (though I'd add their Tripel is stellar and the 1554 is damnably drinkable), but New Belgium doesn't make a "bad" product. Remember, when comparing New Belgium to true Trappist ales, you are putting an American micro brew that must compete in a tough market and balance its appeal to beer snobs against its nationwide marketability up against a nanobrew made to a centuries-old tradition that appeals at least partly because of its rarity and its circumstance.

New Belgium has done more than probably any other micro brew except Sam Adams to further the palate of the beer snob and the casual beer drinker alike. We owe the demand for and subsequent availability of Trappist beers stateside at least in part to New Belgium's efforts.

Now, I need to go get a sixer of Fat Tire. It's been awhile.

p.s. sorry for the hijack.

Drinking Knob Creek tonight (speaking of quality craft alcohol that the snobs like to beat up on)
    You think New Belgium has done more than Victory, Stone, Rogue, and DFH??? I'm avoiding mentioning many more for that matter. You know what though I live in NY and they don't distribute any NB to NY. Have you ever had any Southampton's Brews or Six-Point's ??? It's so hard to say which is better or more influential when not everything is distributed Country wide.