Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 49 of 63 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Unhappy Weller

OK all this Weller talk, so I had to get them all out. WL Special Reseve, Weller 12yr, and Weller Centinial, and Antique 107.

First thing I notice is the 12yr doesnt belong with the others. The 12 taste more like BT or ETL. The Special Reseve and the 107 are very similar despite the proof difference. The 10yr is a lot like the two 7 yrs, but a little more complex.

$$$ wise the 107 seems to be the best buy for my taste. Over all favorite is the 12 yr though. Hey, they are all winners! You cant go wrong with any of them. They will all be on hand at my house....

Side Note: At $12 flat, out the door, the WL Special Reserve is something...

Wish my tasting notes were as descriptive as some of the others, sorry...

Virtuoso

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

My first '06 Saz 18 bottle has just joined the empty bottle ranks.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Having a bit of ancient Canadian Club tonight. Six year old with a real tax stamp from Detroit dated 1957. 86.8 proof in a "One Quart" bottle. Very light color, not much on the nose, just a bit of fruitiness. Very light tasting, sweet with a light blended whisky taste. Fresh tasting, pleasant and easy to quaff. I have to try some current CC and see how the style compares to this one bottled in 1963. Just added an ice cube and I like it better this way than straight.

I always like to drink oldies, makes you think of what was going on back then in your world!

While I was digging this bottle out, I unearthed another bottle of CC with a real Canadian Tax stamp dated 1959. This bottle doesn't state a proof, but it does say on it " Bottled In Bond In Canada". I was wondering if anyone would have any info on what that would have signified in 1959? Tom V

Advanced Taster

Cracked open a dusty Beam's Black Label 101 month charcoal filtered 200 mL tonight and it's terrific. It's sweet, but spicy, and while I'm not a fan of that charcoal character, it works well enough here. It's not too hot going down either. It does have some red hot to it, but it's well balanced with all the other aforementioned characteristics. Yeah, balance... that's what we've got here. Balanced complexity.

I'm definitely going to have to ransack the remaining stock of the one store in town that I know still has some of this.
    Ben

Grain on the Brain

Quote Originally Posted by tmas View Post
    I unearthed another bottle of CC with a real Canadian Tax stamp dated 1959. This bottle doesn't state a proof, but it does say on it " Bottled In Bond In Canada". I was wondering if anyone would have any info on what that would have signified in 1959? Tom V
    I don't have any info, but if you want to send it my way, feel free!!

I was thinking about CC when I was at work today, and was considering a re-barreling project with the 6yo, or perhaps getting a 2L barrel, 1.25 L of CC6yo and 750mL of CC Classic 12yo.
    6 months in a barrel couldn't do it any harm.......

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I have tasted CC from the 70's (Mike Veach kindly gave me some) and found it similar to today's: light, a little fruity, crisp. Despite the plethora of CC expressions, the 6 year old seems best (or at least, the classic type) but the older ones will please those who like more barrel character. It is an intereting idea to rebarrel it, but if this is done I would consider blending it with any straight whiskey. I have a mostly-Seagram's vatting to which I added a little ORVW 13 rye as well as some bourbon and it is remarkable how good the result can be. It is still Canadian whisky but with more body and flavor than normally. Since some Canadian distillers simply mix real bourbon and rye into their aged high proof base, adding more yourself just continues, and often improves, the process.

Gary

Virtuoso

I'm having my second-to-last pour of '06 Larue right now - and the last pour will be next.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Just opened my first bottle of WTKS. The Austin-Nichols mashbill is quite evident in the taste, with its (lower) corn and (higher) rye and malted barley content. Although this bottling, to me, is not an intense as WTRB, I'm really enjoying it. The nose was sweet, but less so was the taste, but I sensed a vanilla flavor and spicyness that sustained through the finish, with a long-lasting warmth through the chest. Another fine bourbon coming out of Lawrenceburg!
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Enthusiast

I just poured a VG for my Sis and a VW 10YO 107 for me into my Reidel Bourbon glasses.

The colour difference between the two drink was amazing...

Lovely pale VG next to the full bodied deep amber VW.

The 107 is going down a treat and maybe we will end the night with a very small Booker's. I was amazed the 1st time my Sis had a Booker's neat and commented how nice it was.

I will have to check one day if there are any hairs on her chest!
    Philip

I guess good whiskey really does tickle my pickle!

Apprentice

My current favorite, Wild Turkey 101! Really smoothes out lifes rough edges.