Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

My old stand by....Lot B
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Guru

Blanton's. It still makes a mark on my palate that is familiar and one that I count on.

It is no longer my best ever, and I have this board to thank for that.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Advanced Taster

Two fingers of OGD Bonded 100, and then two of WT 80. Hey, a parsimonious form of entertainment this is!
    Murf

"...A good bowl of Wheaties with bourbon can't be beat." Dizzy Dean, The Gashouse Gang, 1934.

Taster

I love having a variety.

I started with some Buffalo Trace.

After that I had a sip of Lot B, just to compare. I could have chugged it, it was so smooth (I didn't ). I just have a couple of pours of Lot B left, and I'm hoping to save them to offer to someone who isn't familiar with bourbon - just to show them how nice bourbon can be.

I followed that with some PVW 15yo, and I'm capping the night off with some Eagle Rare.

Four very distinctive flavors.

I'm watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern off and on all evening. Fascinating show, but I could not eat much of what he does.

Jeff

For some unknown reason, I was craving something I almost never enjoy: pollution in my bourbon in the form of ICE. Upon arriving home from a day that turned down right crappy from a start that was just a little worse than annoying I poured a healthy dose of Larue onto a pile of medium ice cubes. It was enjoyable and I was quite surprised how much flavor came through, but then again when your pouring 129.9 proof on ice it should carry through well!

After that I had a little ND era OGD114... on 3 ice cubes, pretty good. Now, hhhmmm not sure. Maybe some Beam Rye?
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Virtuoso

Thumbs up Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

Started with a sampling from a very nice barrel of Blanton's as selected by a local retail store. Finishing up with a good dose of WTRB over a small frozen cube of water. No matter what they say here or elsewhere, Blanton's is and will forever be in my top 5.....along with WTRB as well. Of course, my humble opinion only.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Sunday night I opened a bottle of ETL, Binny's single barrel selection. Last night I reached for it again. A really fine pour. It does have that musty, earthy quality some people don't like. I do like it, and feel it gives the whiskey a distinctive signature.

We bother ourselves a lot here about products that are hard or impossible to get. This is a true gem that's available to practically everyone and at a fine price ($20.69).

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Sunday night I opened a bottle of ETL, Binny's single barrel selection. Last night I reached for it again. A really fine pour. It does have that musty, earthy quality some people don't like. I do like it, and feel it gives the whiskey a distinctive signature.

We bother ourselves a lot here about products that are hard or impossible to get. This is a true gem that's available to practically everyone and at a fine price ($20.69).
    Thanks for reminding me Chuck, I've got a bottle of this sitting on the shelf courtesy of a recent Binny's order to Australia (by Hightower)

I really must open it - I've heard it may suit my prefered sweet palate?

Virtuoso

I began with an exploration of Michter's US1 Rye - first in a Red Hook, then a Cocktail a la Louisiane, then neat. I had some of it neat last night as well.

At first sip, it didn't really impress me - but as I drank the first glass, it got better and better. With tonight's cocktails, the Louisiane turned out better than the Red Hook when using the Michter's.

As I got into a wicked game of Scorched 3D, the Fleischmann's Rye came out and helped improve my artillery skills.
    Oh no! You have walked into the slavering fangs of a lurking grue!

Advanced Taster

Started things off with Lot B, then progressed to WT 8yr from and '85 bottling (fantastic stuff), and finished with some vintage JB black label, 101 month, 90 proof which is terrific as well.

Last night I had some WT Tribute, which is just downright delicious.
    Ben

Grain on the Brain