Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstuff View Post

By the way, for us newbies, is there a list of authorized abbreviations for this forum, or can someone fill me in on what's been discussed here so far? It seems I'm missing out on much of what the regulars are talking about here.

Jim's created a forum just for "Newbies" (New to Straighbourbon http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...splay.php?f=43) your list of things you need to know are bookmarked at the top of that forum

Bettye Jo

Connoisseur

From reading these entries I would say that 07 is starting out quite well for all of you...at least on the Bourbon side of life.
    We all get sent home early yesterday in anticipation of the snowstorm coming in, and good thing it was. I made my normal commute and then sat in front of the evening news with a nice pour of VW 12 watching people abandon their cars as the snow came down fast and heavy. I moved on to RHF as the traffic got worse; I thought a dignified pour to raise to those poor folks now walking home. 125 cars abandoned on the freeway and off ramp down below me.
    I woke up to 8 inches of snow and am forced to take a sick day to stay home with my youngest.
    I think I shall open up one of my WTRR 101's tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobA View Post
    Last night was WT RR 101. I've been avoiding it, but realized with two more bottles in the bunker, everything else that's in there, and my rate of consumption, there's a real possibility that people might end up drinking it to my memory. No point in that.

Point well made Bob!
    Todd

Enthusiast

Last night was a healthy pour of Stagg. I forget just how dark this bourbon is in the glass.
    Bob

Connoisseur

Evan Williams 1783

I never thought a $10 bourbon would be one of my favorites. It is certainly a pleasant surprise though.
    Tim

To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Connoisseur

Tomorrow is my son's Bar Mitzvah (13 years old, becoming a man, Jewish rite of passage); we're having a party with about 90 kids and 50 adults. We opted for the open bar, which I am supplementing with (for my buddies who know to ask for it) Pappy 20 year old. I'm hoping there's a little left from the 2 bottles I got.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Congratulations to the bar mitzvah boy.

That is great to have a fine drink like Pappy 20 for the whisky maven guests.

Times have changed, or maybe they haven't, really. In Montreal in the 1960's, when I attended such functions, and even at that tender age (ahem), I recall taking an interest in what was offered at the bar. I don't know why this was, but I always had this interest, since about bar mitzvah age. It may have been from watching the adults and the kinds of things they did at these parties. (Some people watched the dancing, what can I say).

Anyway, the quality of liquor was noticed at these functions, even in an age of when mixed drinks ruled the roost. (Trays of whisky sours in shallow stemmed glasses were swanned around the room by the servers, I can still recall the taste, lemony and sweet and something "different" in the back).

To have Crown Royal and good Scotch was to have the best in Montreal in 1965. Crown Royal was a local favorite if you could afford it. It was the primo product of Seagram, by then a local company helmed by the Bronfman family and we were PROUD of them. They stood by our community, in addition to serving well the larger one, and were our heros. To have Crown Royal at the bar was to have the best quality. I still like CR although I don't think it is as good as it was then.

As for Scotch, Chivas Regal was the in-drink. It is funny the things you remember, but even then (at least by 1970) I knew that Chivas was a Seagram property. This of course facilitated it being offered by the Seagram reps to the caterers that handled these functions although my young brain at the time (occupied with such matters as school, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, the Stones, girls (even)) probably could not divine the specific reason the two drinks seemed of a pair at the toniest events.

Then too my grandfather liked Black and White and I always had a soft spot for that too as a result, defending it in my mind at the time (no doubt) as the peoples' favourite.

Then there was the food, but that is a different story. I never had kids of my own and therefore haven't kept up on the styles of these parties. The last one I attended (I mean the party itself after, not the synagogue service) seemed very different than what I recalled from my time, with the DJ and other kinds of special entertainers. I liked it better in my day, but isn't it always like that? The important thing is that the bar mitzvah boy and his friends like the party he will have.

All the best again for a nice and freilach affair.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-12-2007 at 17:37.

Guru

Still on the 2001 ER 17... this one is so good I'll probably finish it off before going to another pour.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

First full week back since before the Holidays. And, am I feelin' it. Starting with Eagle Rare 101 and VOB BIB. I may hit quite a few before this evening is gone.

JOE

Advanced Taster

Cool Re: What are you drinking tonight? (Winter '07)

Just kicked the OGD114, good thing tomorrow is Saturday, I need to go shopping!!

Tim
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"

Guru

Lot B...yet again. It's hard not to pull that bottle down and pop that cork out.