Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lot b vs. EC12

lot b vs. EC12

Why these two? Thats what I had! This is my first van winkle product, so I will try to give my impressions. Lot B: dense, compact, rich. Tastes of maple, vanilla extract. Nose, delicate but leads you straight to the taste. Finish, about an hour per sip, really, easily the longest finish I have experienced to date and the warming of the alcohol is perfect. excellent bourbon, except I think I miss the rye. Enter the EC12. I have given my impressions of this before, I really like this one to, and for the first time noted the wintergreen everyone talks about. I was thinking it was the taste people were talking about, I experience it more as a mouthfeel(almost reminds me slightly of gin). anybody now how much rye is in EC12? Im trying to get a feel for my rye content preference. Anyways both excellent bourbons( they almost all are!!!). All responses welcomed.

Advanced Taster

Re: lot b vs. EC12

I have not tried any of the PVW products yet, but I have tried the EC12 and it is my favorite so far. Very good buy for the price!

Eric

Connoisseur

Lot B is one of my favs ESCPECIALLY in that price range. I tried EC18 and disliked it. Too charry for me. I have never tried EC12 though.

Guru

Love the Lot B; certainly in my top ten. EC12 can very very good and an incredible value. But since it varies so much in quality (taste profile) I've stopped buying it.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasonsÖ that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Love the Lot B; certainly in my top ten. EC12 can very very good and an incredible value. But since it varies so much in quality (taste profile) I've stopped buying it.
    This has been my experience as well with EC12. IMHO, of the EC12s I have had, none came anywhere remotely close to VW Lot B. I have not had the priviledge of enjoying Lot B very often, but, when I have it is easily in my top 10 every time.

Enthusiast

Lot B is easily in my top five. Have not tried the EC12.

-Kevin

Advanced Taster

Had them both. The EC12 is a nice pour, that I intend to have stocked and on hand, but it's not in the same game as lot B. Lot B is a top 10 for me....

Guru

An intersting choice to deabte. I am second to none in my support and admiration for Lot B. In this market I can have EC 12 twice for what it costs for a single bottle of Lot B. This leads to another question...

At what point do you add value into the equation when choosing. When my wallet talks I have no problem making the EC 12 and others my choice. When I want to spend the "bonus" dollars, I look for Lot B and other $40 plus bottles.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Taster

I could buy 2 1/2 bottles of EC12 for what one bottle of Lot B costs me. Every single time, I'd opt for the Lot B. It's more than 2 1/2 times better to me.

Connoisseur

My preference tends to lean toward wheat recipe bourbons like the Lot B so itís almost no contest for me on this one. The EC12 is a great value, I was surprised by how good it was and thinking about it makes me realize that itís been too long since I last bought this one. EC12 would win against a lot of the rye recipe bourbons Iíve tried but in this case it doesnít stand a chance.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas