Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Guru

International Travel - What bourbon?

Ok, I posted a similar question under the Foreign Whisky board but figured I would ask the same question here but for bourbon instead of scotch.

I'm headed to the Carib next month. What bourbons should I look for that are typically for export only? Duty Free selections? For instance, Four Roses SB European Export would be one I would be looking for. What else would you recommend?

Advanced Taster

Re: International Travel - What bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva View Post
    Ok, I posted a similar question under the Foreign Whisky board but figured I would ask the same question here but for bourbon instead of scotch.

I'm headed to the Carib next month. What bourbons should I look for that are typically for export only? Duty Free selections? For instance, Four Roses SB European Export would be one I would be looking for. What else would you recommend?
    Wild Turkey 12 yr and 8 yr!!!!!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Wild Turkey 12 yr and 8 yr!!!!!
    I'm one step ahead of you. WT 101 12 year is the first item on my list.

Also, What happens if you bring back more than your 1 litre allowance? I was in the Carib 2 years ago and brought back 6 bottles and customs didn't even care...I declared it and they passed me on through without paying any additional duty. Is this normal? What if I had 8 or 10 bottles?

This has been talked about pretty extensively in other threads I believe, but one thing I recall is that you may be let down if you are hoping for anything extraordinary in the caribbean...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

We have frequently brought back in excess of our limit and have never been charged (We were stopped and sent to the duty writer one time when we had 15 bottles and $500 listed for alcohol on the form - but once he saw most of it was wine (which apparently had low duty since it was low percentage alcohol) he sent us quickly on our way).

Several people have told me that if total duty due is under $10 they send you through since they figure it will cost more to process the claim than they would collect.

Tom

I would look for Wild Turkey Freedom... its like a step better then rare breed.